Perfect Union banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm shooting Winchester 45gr. jhp hi velocity 3600 fps. varmit rounds. My accuracy has been a 4 - 6 inch group at 100yds, and 3 - 5 inch at 50yds. Is this a typical grouping for these rounds? I have heard that heavier rounds might do better, although I'am pretty happy with the way these shoot.

Have any ideas about this subject?:usa:

No Longer Involved
It seems that every rifle has a different round it likes, especially Mini-14's.

Try the American Eagle 50gr flat base, I've heard of good results with that.

Registered
I was shooting lousy 4" groups @ 100yds w/ my Mini-14 today at the range using cheap FMJ Wolf ammo. I don't know if it was the wind, the ammo or my bad aim that was causing it, but I've had much better results with the American Eagle HPs (55grains I think).

The Mini-14 is notorious for inaccuracy. There are companies which profess modifications that will make it a 1 M.O.A. Rifle. These mods cost anywhere from $300 and up.

Bybon is making a barrel shroud which is claimed to increase the accuracy, and is offering it at a reasonable price.
Bybon's barrel shroud for Mini-14

Results with my Mini-30 were much better, again using Wolf ammo.

No Longer Involved
We've uncovered the tip of the age old iceberg....

Mini-14 vs AR-15!

One is cheap and reliable from the factory, the other is more expensive and a bit less reliable (on average).

The first has expensive mags (factory, that is), the second has a plethora of available hi-caps (USGI) at a reasonable price.

Accurize a Mini? I wouldn't, but others who love their Mini's have, and they love it that way.

I like my AR-15's best... but that's what's great about rifles and firearms in general... there are lots of variations for just about everyone.:confused:

Registered
I've been shooting Winchester 45gr Varmint rounds with
better luck than anything else. Before I was getting 4"-5"
groups at 100yds, but with these, I'm putting them in
constant 2"-3" groups. Bad thing is, I've only found
them at Academy Sporting Goods, and they're
$10 for a box of 40.

Registered
I've been able to improve the accuracy of my Mini 14 by adding a muzzle break offered on the Cheaper Than Dirt web site for $19.97.

I was getting the typical 4"-6" accuracy (at 100 yds.) with the rifle. However after adding the muzzle break, accuracy has improved to 2", again at 100 yds.

I'm using a Tasco Pro Point red dot site (model PDP3) and shooting either American Eagle 55 gr. FMJ or PMP 55 gr. FMJ (both appear to give about the same accuracy (American Eagle is $6 locally and PMP about $3.99 via a number of Internet sites).

I had the gunsmith at the local shop install the muzzle break (remove the pin from the front site, slip on the muzzle brake and install a longer pin (supplied). He didn't think it would improve the accuracy of the rifle at all, but it turned out to be a major improvement.

I had to re-sight the rifle after installing the muzzle break and after firing 150 rds. this week it's still providing 2" groups.

I don't really recommend the red dot sight at 100 yds. as the farther away the target is the larger the dot becomes. However, it's great for quick target acquision.

Can't explain why installing a muzzle break has improved accuracy so much but it really seems to work (and it was cheap!).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just bought a recoil reducer/ flash surpresser from sksman. I installed it and am going to try it out this weekend at the range. Im really not convinced it works as well as Ive heard. I also installed a harris bi-pod and adapter I got from ajax custom grips inc. By the way I have a ss mini14 ranch rifle with ruger ss ex. high scope mounts and a simmons pro-50 6-18x50mm scope to help me see those little critters. Im still shooting the 45gr. jhp. Ill tell you my results on monday. 11/12/01

Thanks For The Time
NIGHT^HAWK
:usa: We Will Win Any Battle, Anytime, Anywhere!:usa:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts