Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:usa: Just got back from the range and was able to cut my groups by almost 50%. I have read in treads by several members that by installing a flask supperesser would help. Well, and so i did, and i cant believe it, but its true!!! The flash supperesser help me shoot 2-3" groups at 100yds. I recommend this to any Mini14 owner. I have been thinking about a trigger job from ct. percision. Has anyone had this done, and what do they think about it?

:usa: :rapid: :usa:

·
Registered
716 Posts
Night^Hawk,

Can you give us the link/picture of the suppressor you bought? I looked at sksman.com, and there are three recoil reducer/muzzle brakes on that site for Mini-14. Which one is it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also installed a muzzle brake on my mini 14 and improved the accuracy to 2" groups at 100 yds.

I purchased the Black Warrior Double Muzzle Brake from http://www.cheaperthandirt.com .

Enter RGR-040 into the Category# box at the top of the page.

Price was $19.97.

Here's the description of the item from the website "Double Muzzle Brake designed to fit the mini-14 only. Easy to install muzzle brake with both holes and slots to drastically reduce recoil and muzzle flip. Slips on around your original front sight and tightens in place. Requires no gun smithing and allows you to keep your current front sight in place. Legal to own, this is a muzzle brake, NOT a flash hider. New in package."

If anyone knows why a muzzle brake substantially improves accuracy on the Mini 14 please share it with the group!

·
Registered
145 Posts
ARS of odessa offers a drop in adjustable trigger for around 70 bucks, got one and it is an improvement over factory, my other mini has a trigger job by ARS and I don't see much difference
RR

·
Registered
322 Posts
I've been following this board and finaly decided to register. I finaly bought the mini 14 I've wanted since college and went to the range it, shot so poorly I thought somthing was wrong with me but everything felt right and I am a good shot. My best group was about 6 inches at 100 yards with four of the 6 rounds in 4 inches. I read this board and polished up the trigger some. Tonight I also ordered a trapper gun spring kit from theoutdoorcenter.com and a double brake from cheaperthandirt.com . I have been shooting M16s for years and like them but don't like the price of the colt. I will let you know how it turns out. I will probably eventualy glass bed to. I am not sure about messing with the gas block since I don't see the logic since the halves already don't touch on mine. What good is it removing metal that dosent touch anythinng. If I run into a cheap torqe wrench I will try retorqing. eventualy I might buy a new barrel but I want to try everything else before I lay out the cash. wish me luck I am hoping to get to 2"
Jeff :usa:

·
Registered
689 Posts
welcome to the board jeff. What type mini did you buy standard or a ranch? Also was it blued or stainless? Sorry to hear it did'nt do that well. Maybe you can try a few different loads and get one that will do a little better. Also she might do a little better after a few hundred rounds.

·
Registered
322 Posts
It is a blue ranch, bought it used at a gun show for 350. It didn’t have rings so I traded all the M16 mags I had accumulated over the years for rings and some extra mags. I put the cheapest 4X scope I could find on it till I figure out what I want to use for sights. It is fun to shoot had one failure to fire out of 150 rounds. It is a ball to knock down bowling pins at 30 yards or so but I just want I little more accuracy guess I can’t complain to much all the ARs at the show were $1,000 or more. I like to tinker with guns anyway.
jeff:usa:

·
Registered
689 Posts
jeff there are a few links in larrys thread Accurizing the Mini 14. Nobody seems to happy with ARS's work, but theres a couple other links with gunsmiths you might check. Or like you were saying try the muzzle break and a synthetic stock. Myself I've always thought the barrel itself was the key to accuracy. So if I ever felt I needed a little more accuracy I think I would get one of the Shilen barrels and see an area gunsmith. Shilen makes some good tubes.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Welcome,Take a look at my post on my homemade Draganov.I made a 2 chamber 4 ported muzzle brake on a lathe at work.Cut the groups down a little.Then made a barrel sleeve"I hate to call it a shroud when its 1" diameter solid stainless steel"put set screws every 1.25" putting presurre on barrel from all 4 sides,tightened it down evenly.This cut my groups from 5-4" range to 2" solid with PMP 55gr BT ammo."This gun seems to like this round"I feel like you that the gas block is kinda a waste"maybe the older ones touched".I don't like playing with anything that the factory STAKED in place"just a personel thing".I am thinking of getting the mini bedded also,but I am trying to figure out what to bed?"I have done over 12 Mauser types before,barrel channel and recoil lug area"But a mini??Bottom stock fits with a wedge type action of the trigger guard,and do I shim front of lower stock to put pressure down on the lower gas block?Do I remove the sheet metal barrel channel heat guard?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've noticed an awful lot of postings telling that a muzzlebreak helps accuracy, but no one seems to know why...I happened to run across an explanation on the Clark custom guns home page that explains the reason in great detail. In fact it's about $245 worth of detail.......U guys just found the $20 answer.....and a good one at that. If I did this correctly, this might link you to the page, if not just go to www.clarkcustomguns.com and seek out their Mini14GBS (gun barrel stabilizer). I'll take a $20 accuracy job over a $245 one anytime. Besides, Mini14 owners are smart enough to own .223 semi's that do the same thing as the Colts for one third of the price........and ours shoot even when they are filthy. http://store.shooters.com/acb/showdetl.cfm...CIAL_GROUP_ID=0 JN

·
Registered
716 Posts
I'm just wondering that since: "The forces produced by the pressure of the propellant gases act rearward along the axis of the gun barrel. These axial forces are resisted by the mass of the gun, but because the mass center is offset from the bore, a couple results, thereby producing accelerations of the gun barrel in directions perpendicular to the axis of the bore."

Has anyone in the manufacture of guns, designed such a weapon that has a mass with it's center of gravity along the boreline, thus eliminating the couple that results in muzzle rise? This gun would look a little weird, because the stock and mechanism would result in the barrel being lower than normal. This would result in an unusually high scope to bore distance, but I'm sure it would produce better accuracy.

I would think that the more detrimental attributes (ie muzzle rise) that you can eliminate, the better your accuracy must be. Ergo, if you take a Mini-14, and remove the stock and just fire it with the innards and trigger assembly by holding onto the reciever only somehow, wouldn't that improve things?

Just my wandering brain...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Take a look at this months gun and ammo,reloading section,it has a part about barrel harmonics.Seems barrel whip and harmonics are interrelated.The Browning BOSS system worked on this system,by having a muzzle break that had a sliding weight that could be made to go up or down the barrel to find the sweet spot with a given ammo load.You change the barrel dynamics when you hang a weight at the end of the barrel,or stiffen it with a shroud.I am no expert,but of shooting 40+ years,you do learn a few things,and those that work and those that don't.Aldo

·
Registered
110 Posts
CT did a trigger job on my mini. I am very pleased.
Other places charge extra for the anti slack and overtravel stop.
From their web site:
"Excellent crisp 3 to 3.25 pound trigger pull.
Overtravel stop and anti-slack screw installed in frame.
Send un-modified trigger group with $45 plus $4 s&h"

·
No Longer Involved
2,398 Posts
Originally posted by Johnnu
Besides, Mini14 owners are smart enough to own .223 semi's that do the same thing as the Colts for one third of the price........and ours shoot even when they are filthy.
Hmmm, 1/3?

Are you comparing $1200 preban colts with a $400 Mini (which is a used price these days) or are you comparing a $750-850 dollar post ban Colt with a $275 beater Mini-14??

Add in the cost of a dozen USGI vs Ruger mags, and you'e moved it in the Colts favor.

Other than dropping the action in the mud, Colts are reliable. I clean my bolt once a year.

Unreliable AR's get their reputation from 3 primary sources:

1. The original M16 during its first year in VietNam
  2. Bottom Feeder AR's (not Colt or Bushmaster or a handful of others) that don't work
  3. People shooting plinker ammo in a match chamber that is too tight for plinking ammo
    [/list=1]

Oh, yes, and the final reason AR's have a reputation for being unreliable? People keep repeating the same accusations over and over again.

I'm not knocking your Mini-14. But I've owned both, and I couldn't get close to the Mini. Others can't get close to the AR. That's no reason to go bashing them. Especially when making the mistake of equating Colt with the AR-15 in general.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Just got back from the range. I replaced all the springs (15.99) and polished up the trigger narrowed the sear a bit not too much since that makes me nervous. It feels much nicer but really doesn’t shoot any better (about 5-6”). Trigger work really helps the shooter more than the weapon and I have never found much difference when shooting from a rest. I had bought a couple of different types of ammo but I just shot some cheap reloads they sell at the rod and gun club. I will try the other ammo when my double brake from cheaperthandirt.com gets here so I can see what groups best before buying a large lot. It got lost by UPS along with a couple of boxes of south African ammo I also ordered some ACRAGLASS from Brownell’s and am waiting on that. So my accuracy is still disappointing but at least it functions flawlessly. I have only put about 200 rounds though it but no malfunctions even with cheap magazines.

Total outlay so far
$350 Mini 14 Ranch with one five and one no name 20 rd magazines
$24.99 Wall Mart cheapee scope (till I decide what to put on it)
15.99 Trapper gun spring kit. (Includes recoil trigger and sear springs)
$20 and some M16 mags I had laying around for Scope rings (it came without) and two 20 round no name magazines
$20 Double brake muzzle brake
$33 for ACRAGLASS including shipping

The nearby pawn shop has a new condition bushmaster M4 copy for $899 so $463 sounds pretty good but if I have to get a new barrel to get 2 MOA $899 is going to sound cheap.

Now the Questions
Has anyone had a heavy barrel put in by a local gunsmith who doesn’t specialize in mini 14s. I would prefer not to send mine across country I live in the west Texas town of El Paso?
Most of the barrels I have seen are 20” I would prefer not to spoil the handling too much does anyone have an 18-inch and what is the weight increase?
Are you finding a accuracy increase when putting on a synthetic stock? I have seen some posts about stocks for under $50 and if I can get another inch for that it sounds cheap (do you still glass bed it that sounds redundant).

Jeff
:usa

1 - 20 of 43 Posts