Perfect Union banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my hands on two new production Tapco Gen II magazines. They work perfectly and are not loose and or too tight a fit in my 581 Tactical.
Lucky for me I live 20 minutes from Tapco here in Georgia. I called them and stated my older Gen II mags were too tight for my 581. They said come on by and they would swap out no charge for new production mags. I was at their office for less than 10 minutes. I love Tapco. I went to the range and cycled fully loaded mags with no FTF issues. To conserve ammo I only fired three rounds each from fully loaded (30) round mags. The first three rounds functioned no problem. I did this several times to each mag. I then took both mags and only loaded 3 rounds and fired to test for the bolt locking to the rear and also if the last three rounds would fire without FTF issues. Both mags worked as designed. Who can afford to burn through 30 rounds to test a magazine these days? I was using 55 grain PMC Bronze ammo and also American Eagle 55 grain. I did notice that Fiochi V Max is too long to load in these mags. I have some USGI 62 grain green tip and these loaded and ejected manually. Didn't want to shoot my preper ammo. I also was able to load Fusion 62 grain. So I would say the Tapco can handle some 62 grain but V-max bullets look too long. 55 grain FMJ is probably the best ammo for the Tapco mags. I like these new mags. Tapco said these aren't Gen III they are just called newer prodcution Gen II magazines. Looks like they took off a bit of the thickness off the top rear of the mag. So now I have more of the dreaded and evil hi-cap mags.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also the weight difference is pretty noticable compared to factory mags of which I have several and are worth their weight in gold. Tapco mags weigh much less but I have no scales. The Tapco mags will be used for the range and hog hunts in the rain. The Ruger mags are for when SHTF. Tapco's will be the Ruger back-ups if I can't reloaded the Ruger mags fast enough. Stripula's won't fit the Tapco by the way.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Is there any visual way to tell if a Gen 2 Tapco mag is "new production"?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm still waiting for my replacement mag - Gen II I bought last summer fit too tightly and would not work. Tapco promised to replace it and notified me back on Feb. 6 that they would send me info for returning it to them. Hoping to hear from them soon....

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
I just got my hands on two new production Tapco Gen II magazines. They work perfectly and are not loose and or too tight a fit in my 581 Tactical.
Lucky for me I live 20 minutes from Tapco here in Georgia. I called them and stated my older Gen II mags were too tight for my 581. They said come on by and they would swap out no charge for new production mags. I was at their office for less than 10 minutes. I love Tapco. I went to the range and cycled fully loaded mags with no FTF issues. To conserve ammo I only fired three rounds each from fully loaded (30) round mags. The first three rounds functioned no problem. I did this several times to each mag. I then took both mags and only loaded 3 rounds and fired to test for the bolt locking to the rear and also if the last three rounds would fire without FTF issues. Both mags worked as designed. Who can afford to burn through 30 rounds to test a magazine these days? I was using 55 grain PMC Bronze ammo and also American Eagle 55 grain. I did notice that Fiochi V Max is too long to load in these mags. I have some USGI 62 grain green tip and these loaded and ejected manually. Didn't want to shoot my preper ammo. I also was able to load Fusion 62 grain. So I would say the Tapco can handle some 62 grain but V-max bullets look too long. 55 grain FMJ is probably the best ammo for the Tapco mags. I like these new mags. Tapco said these aren't Gen III they are just called newer prodcution Gen II magazines. Looks like they took off a bit of the thickness off the top rear of the mag. So now I have more of the dreaded and evil hi-cap mags.
Thanks for the outstanding review!

I just hope we can beat the mag ban federally so I can get a few of the Tapco Gen III's in my kit box....

All the best,
Grumpy

·
Registered
182 Posts
Received my replacement Tapco "Gen III" mag on Saturday. Tested it in both my 185- and 582-series Tactical and it works perfectly! Top quality (as was the original) and they have the dimensions spot-on. Fits like a glove in both rifles. Definitely recommended!

401 Posts
I have 4 ordered from a place in Wisconsin. With all the good news on these Gen 2's I decided to wiggle around my boycott a bit. I didn't buy any firearm or ammo; just saying.

Shooting ammo: I have some odds and ends rounds and a few partial boxes; about 200 total and I think this is going to be my limit for the Spring. I will re-evaluate when Summer rolls around.

Thanks for the review.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.