Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Odd title, but we frequently have issues out here with wandering skunks and sometimes they come close enough to the house that the stench gives you major headaches.

My solution so far is a 22 rifle and flashlight, but I want something that can be gun mounted (snap in?) so I can hold the rifle solidly. I want something that is bright enough to see 40-50yds and easily identify the skunk.

I currently use one of those hand held lights that is not unlike the ones for a car, with a 12v plug. The lens is about 4" in dia and it shines a super bright light and you could see a skunk 100yds off, no prob. But it has about 20 min of burn time before it needs recharging (110v). Ideally it would be an LED for long batt life, and/or rechargeable, with very bright light, and narrow beam. Oh yes, I want to be able to still have 2 arms and 2 legs after purchase (meant CHEAP) or reasonable.

An example was a 3 C cell light, that was LED and said (I think) 3 W, 200 lumens, and distance of 350yd +. But it was $40. A bit high to me, for an occasional peek outside.

·
Runnin' and gunnin'.
36 Posts
I bought a 200 Lumen utg/leapers tactical light, with a pressure pad on my pistol grip on my mini, and i've spotted deer with it lol, and haven't replaced batteries yet. Its worth the plunge, it'll last you a long time.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Are you really sensitive to the musk? We have a family living in our suburban back yard (they love the avocado tree) and they aren't a nuisance at all. Every once in a while you get a whiff when they presumably mark their territory, but it's nothing like a full on spray.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Not sure about mounting options, but the new mini Maglite pros are 230 lumens, LED, and only $30. Nicely made like any Maglite. They make double-concave rubber blocks with velcro straps for mounting accessories to bicycles that might work.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you really sensitive to the musk? We have a family living in our suburban back yard (they love the avocado tree) and they aren't a nuisance at all. Every once in a while you get a whiff when they presumably mark their territory, but it's nothing like a full on spray.
I'm happy for you, but it smells like they sprayed our window screens when they go buy, and they HAVE sprayed the dog. If I see them, they're dead, period.

We sleep with the windows open on cool nights, and one night one went by and woke three of us up at 4AM. We could hardly breathe. I am not super sensitive, they are super strong.

I will look into the LED lights a bit closer. I will also see if they have any sort of mounting system for it.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I had the same problem with skunks when I lived in Sacramento County. I was chasing them around at night with my 870 and a 2 D cell flashlight that had a magnet strip on the side stuck to the receiver.
It worked pretty well except every time I pulled the trigger that flashlight would hit the ground. Finely it hit the ground one to many times and never worked again. After that I just used a three cell Mag-Light held in my off hand against the forearm.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm happy for you, but it smells like they sprayed our window screens when they go buy, and they HAVE sprayed the dog. If I see them, they're dead, period.

We sleep with the windows open on cool nights, and one night one went by and woke three of us up at 4AM. We could hardly breathe. I am not super sensitive, they are super strong.

I will look into the LED lights a bit closer. I will also see if they have any sort of mounting system for it.

Thanks
I wasn't questioning your right to shoot a varmint, more curious if they were spraying or just marking. We've only lived here a couple months and don't have a dog, so we haven't had any spraying (which I'm sure we wouldn't like either). Maybe we have a different variety or it's a seasonal thing or they are just mellower living in such close proximity to people. I'd trap them (can't shoot 'em here in the 'burbs) in a second if they were a nuisance like you describe.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I got one at Wal mart, I don't even remember the brand but it was $29 and put out 130 lumens, good for 135 meters, and is small enough to fit under my barrel.

I wrapped it in plastic to keep from scratching the light or barrel, and taped it to my rifle barrel, aimed where I see through the scope. Works perfectly. Now to catch the skunk!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts