Perfect Union banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am debating whether to buy a Mini-14 or a Vepr in .223. I was leaning toward the Vepr until I read about the double muzzle brake, breakthrough in cheap accuracy. I'm encouraged by this.
I've also read about stocks affecting accuracy. In your opinions, would Ruger's synthetic stock be more accurate than the wood stock? Or does it have to be an aftermarket synthetic stock to improve accuracy?
Thanks for your help.

Wheelman

·
Registered
716 Posts
I've heard varying opinions regarding the stock and accuracy. Synthetics are supposed to be better. I don't see how it matters that much - but to each his own.

I suppose that due to changing humidity conditions which affect warpage, that the synthetic is more likely to hold it's zero than wood.

But as far as tightness of your groups, I don't know how the stock material could matter.

With that in mind, the Ruger synthetic should be just as good as an aftermarket synthetic. The only 'complaint' I have about the Ruger synthetic stock versus wood (I own both) - is that the synthetic stock seems to be a good deal more slender, and just feels a little weaker. I know it is in fact stronger though. Also, I like the classic look of the wood.

I have purchased an aftermarket synthetic stock (Ram-Line Brand), and it is a bit 'stouter' than the Ruger Brand synth stock. I would suggest buying it in wood and buy a synth aftermarket replacement to try and see which you prefer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts