Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
Give me a hatchet and a large tarp and I 'll have you sitting toasty in a modern version of a tee pee in under 2 hours....Hows that for survival?

Take a good look at how panels are sewn on a canvas tee pee (google canvess Tee Pee construction, for pics), they are the same patterns as our old buffalo hide lodges but you can substitute any water resistant materials , the only thing you need then is to cut yourself some poles.

Also "Google" Lodge pole placement, this is very important unless you want the thing coming down on you in the middle of a dark rainy night.
Pole placement link below:
http://www.manataka.org/images/Teepee_Poles.gif
Watch how they are set up (link below).

https://www.google.com/search?q=can...HW3J9Y&ved=0CLsCEPwFKAE#imgrc=K-UFbNbXSgqzVM:

Thought I'd share some "Old school knowledge " With my armed Brother's and Sister's here!

·
Honor our Constitution !
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Give me a hatchet and a large tarp and I 'll have you sitting toasty in a modern version of a tee pee in under 2 hours....Hows that for survival?

Take a good look at how panels are sewn on a canvas tee pee (google canvess Tee Pee construction, for pics), they are the same patterns as our old buffalo hide lodges but you can substitute any water resistant materials , the only thing you need then is to cut yourself some poles.

Also "Google" Lodge pole placement, this is very important unless you want the thing coming down on you in the middle of a dark rainy night.
Pole placement link below:
http://www.manataka.org/images/Teepee_Poles.gif
Watch how they are set up (link below).

https://www.google.com/search?q=can...HW3J9Y&ved=0CLsCEPwFKAE#imgrc=K-UFbNbXSgqzVM:

Thought I'd share some "Old school knowledge " With my armed Brother's and Sister's here!
also seen them assembled with bone "picks" substituted for sinew lacing.

I was a Scout when "outdoor survival" was an absolute requirement for advancement, and the outdoor "challenge" for admission to the "Order of the Arrow" was 2 nights in the woods with nothing but a pocketknife.

Then later as an Adult Leader I had to take advanced survival courses....and did well enough that for a while I was a Trainer of Adult Leaders myself (before they took the "Outing" out of Scouting and became a 95% indoor organization.

in between the two I was a Combat Engineer and learned more survival as well as advanced my First Aid training to the "Combat 1st aid" level, which I aced.

sorry for bragging and being prepared is definitely a good thing......but as Jesse said....all you need is a sharp edge and ball of twine......and in a Viney area, even the twine is optional !

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
Learn "Flint napping" and .....

also seen them assembled with bone "picks" substituted for sinew lacing.

I was a Scout when "outdoor survival" was an absolute requirement for advancement, and the outdoor "challenge" for admission to the "Order of the Arrow" was 2 nights in the woods with nothing but a pocketknife.

Then later as an Adult Leader I had to take advanced survival courses....and did well enough that for a while I was a Trainer of Adult Leaders myself (before they took the "Outing" out of Scouting and became a 95% indoor organization.

in between the two I was a Combat Engineer and learned more survival as well as advanced my First Aid training to the "Combat 1st aid" level, which I aced.

sorry for bragging and being prepared is definitely a good thing......but as Jesse said....all you need is a sharp edge and ball of twine......and in a Viney area, even the twine is optional !
If you learn to flint nap you can even leave the knife at home.;):D

·
Registered
175 Posts
There are lots better sites out there than that one. Survivalmoney.com for one. Some are just too, how do I say this nicely? Too concerned with being PC than being right.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
I'm no survivalist, but I did grow up as a country boy. Growing up, we did stuff like...build a fire, catch a fish, then cook the fish over the fire for lunch, so we didn't have to go home in the middle of the day. Fresh fish cooked over an open fire, with a hand full of blackberries, makes a lunch fit for a king.

In colder months, we would cook a squirrel, or a couple quail, for lunch.
(Could you imagine young (pre-teen) kids doing that today?)

I've never built a survival hut, in the wilderness........but I've built many a fort, in the woods.

When I see people on the internet, or TV talking about survivalist, or preppers, I just have to laugh a little. When I was growing up, most people I knew did the things that are now called prepping. It was just how country folks lived.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Let's keep this thread going. I feel more comfortable posting on my home forum than on some of the others out there. I feel that there are enough knowledgeable members here to bounce ideas off of than to venture into someone else's territory and look like a newbie,greenhorn.

It's too bad that the MSM has painted those that wish to be prepared as crackpots. First it was the "survivalists" and when that term became a negative label they succeded in demeaning the preppers. Doomsday Preppers was a very successful tool to propagandize the the populace to ridicule the people that see a need to be ready for any contingency. My wife was influenced by the maroons on that show that were carefully chosen to make us all look like uneducated rubes. I am an uneducated rube,but that's beside the point! Anyway,I have managed to accumulate an impressive supply of food despite my wife's protestations. I have it shoe horned into existing shelving without having to build more.

I have the art of storing bulk/dry foods down pat,but my problem is water. I have a butt load of Aqua Tainers,but I quickly saw that that idea was futile. Ten containers would last myself,my wife and daughter twenty days. I shot up to the Honeyville store in Rancho Cucamonga last week and picked up three 55gal. drums specifically for food grade liquids and water. As a side note,that place is awesome! Go to NUTNFANCY's You Tube channel and watch the two part video entitled "your food storage sucks" for an over view of what they're about. They sell online,but some of you guys in the southwest may have a brick and mortar store within driving distance. It took me pert near two hours to get up there and it was well worth the drive. So,without a dedicated space in my garage, I had to put each drum on a Harbor Freight furniture dolly to be moveable. The only problem is that my supply of water is only enough for about seventy days. Living in the southwest is not a good place to be short on water. We live five miles from the San Diego River with it's many large sand mining lakes to get water from,but if the SHTF I think it will have to be traversed by pedal power. Good thing it's mostly flat! So I want to build a counterfeit Berkey water filtration system for gathered water. Pretty easy with the ceramic filters and a couple buckets. After I build my filter system we should be okay.

Any more ideas out there? This should be a fun and informative thread.

·
hostilenativelibertarian.
7,825 Posts
:DHey fish slayer-I worked construction down in ontario area back in the day when the original ontario race track was just being torn out and kaiser was still in operation in fontana.We-my blood family have some desert property out in an extremely arid part of oregon,and no well for water.What we do have are building roofs-which we have all of the gutters flowing into containers(barrels) for collection for fire control,livestock water,and general cleanup.We don't bother to filter it for human consumption-however it could be!Also there are tin roof water collection shed roofs that are called "guzzlers"that collect rainwater,etc.,and work on condensation principles to collect dew.I know it does'nt mean that everyone can take a bath daily(or shower)but it would be enough to provide drinking water to stay alive till better sources can be found!
All types of plastic barrels available at all sorts of prices on the net.just need to figure-whats your bank account limits!Get a life stray or two or some other type of filter that can be added to your barrel configuration to filter water-and you've got potable water for some time!Hose clamps and tygon tubing helps also.In socal you've got lots of sunlight-so a harbor freight 12v solar panel kit and a twelve volt HF marine sump pump comes with garden hose type of fittings- can help to transfer water very easily( with a couple of aquired car batteries for electrical storage)to any distant type of storage containers or usage area.I am an electrician,hvac tech,bldg industrial engineer,and a few other things that can't be mentioned in mixed company:Dso I kinda know about this stuff!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Hey,magnomark,

I like your thought processes. Sounds like you lie awake at night dreaming up gadgets to meet specific needs for SHTF. Your ideas are very good and I really dig them. Yeah,I have a bunch of Life Straws packed away in my camping gear. Those things can be a lifesaver in a very desperate situation. My neighbor has an elaborate rain water catchment system for his vegetable garden that lasts a long time, but no preps whatsoever. I can give him a Life Straw to drink out of it. Aint givin none of my water away!

Just curious, but do the summer monsoons make it all the way up to eastern O'regan? Our local deserts get soaked right around August each year. I suspect that Parnelli has seen the monsoons as far east as San Jorge, Jewtah more than his fair share.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Brand New Here

Just found this site this evening.
Still camping and hiking even though I am older than dirt. I am spoiled. I at least need Toilet Paper

·
Registered
14 Posts
Outdoor adventures tips

I always thought that the most important thing to know about camping or in a survival situation was how to use your environment in your favor. I found this article https://amazingoutdooradventures.com/build-everything-you-need-camping/ which teaches many handcraft skills you can use on a camping/survival situation. I really liked the tips for a dry climate (the most hostile to me). What do you think about it? Would you use those tips?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts