Perfect Union banner

SURVEY

5K views 38 replies 23 participants last post by  GPWASR10 
#1 ·
.223 vs 7.62russian Dont want to start any fights here,just interested in peoples thoughts.

#2 ·
Can you be more specific? Are you comparing the rounds themselves, or the Mini-14 vs Mini-30 specifically?

Speaking for myself, assuming both of the above, I would go with the .223 (better US avalibility and supposedly better ballistics), used in either an AR-15 or AK-47 (the latter of which I have in .223).

#3 ·
Anyone who reads the forums like Frugals, AK47.net, AR15.com etc. is very familiar with ongoing discussions concerning the two calibers. Apparently the subject is not burning on the minds of people who frequent this forum. For myself, reading about whether I can forage for either large or small game, carry more ammo, stock up on dead UN guys .223 ammo, shoot flatter compared to harder, punch through a bullet proof vest or car door, rely on my ( claimed reliable ) AK compared to my (claimed jam-a-matic ) AR, or any other arm chair made up scenario borders on the ludicrous. I'll tell you what, if you found yourself with the world gone mad around you I guaranty you won't be debating which round is better! War is hell. And you will take whatever providence places in your hands and do your damned best.

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 02-15-2001).]

#4 ·
Dave
[...]arm chair made up scenario borders on the ludicrous. I'll tell you what, if you found yourself with the world gone mad around you I guaranty you won't be debating which round is better! War is hell. And you will take whatever providence places in your hands and do your damned best.
It isn't so much of a moot point when you are trying to prepare in advance for such calamities.

My solution has been to diversity my collection as much as I can. I have rifles in .308, 7.62x39, and .223, as well as trusty old .22LR.

[This message has been edited by Jay_S (edited 03-01-2001).]

#5 ·
Now don't get me wrong. I'm probably more prepared then most of you. I read alot of these posts for the information and unique sense of humor us gun guys have. And I have a variety of weapons and calibers also. But I have lived long enough to know that things can and do go wrong. The best laid plans, you know. Regarding the arm chair stuff, it seems to be peoples unrealistic attitude. Let's use one of the common scenarios. Commies are everywhere! So you say to your wife:
"Did you pack my lunch dear? gonna pick off some commies at 400yrds today with my .223."
"Is that your new match grade? You did that yesterday. Why don't you grab the reliable AK today."
"I know, but I made up some new reloads last night I wanna try out."
"OK, whatever, just pick up some milk on the way home. And don't forget little Jimmys school play tonight."
And then our warrior calls a time out because his AR fouls, or the AK dents the gas tube or ( God forbid! ) his mini 14 jams with a bad mag. The point is: How did I learn about these type problems? The forums, true. But it seems as if people are preparing for the horrors of something they know not about. Prepare, yes, but remember, WAR IS HELL.

#11 ·
The wildcat cartridge made from the 7.62x39 is the 22PPC, Hornady Vol I, page 110. 1st cousin is the 6mmPPC. The 7.62x39 cartridge is part of an *extremely* well thought out *system* of "gun and ammo ", right down to the tapper of the case for reliable extraction, quoting from American Gunsmithing Institute literature. After studying 3 million casualty reports from WWI & WWII, ALCLAD determind that rifle fire was seldom used effectively at distances greater than 300yrds. This cartridge was developed for that distance or less. It wasn't developed for hunting etc. Not knocking the 5.56 NATO, I'd be nuts. Both rounds are good.

#12 ·
Let's compare notes here gentlemen. One manufacturer USED to make a sporting rifle in the 7.62x39, and one wildcat cartridge is derived from it too. Well, not exactly an avalanche of empirical data supporting the ballistic superiority of the round is it?
The Russians got smart back in the seventies when they rechambered the AK-47 for 5.45x39 and renamed the rifle the AK-74. Guess why they did that? To mimic the performance of the NATO 5.56 that was kicking their ballistic ass. See the information on the following site for a little historical perspective on why even the Russians think the 7.62x39 round is inferior to the .223. http://www.classicfirearms.org/ak74.html

Look at what the bullets do in flight. Assuming a typical military type load for the .223 is 55 gr fmj with muzzle velocity of 3200fps and 1250 ft lb of energy. A 100 yard zero produces -3.0" drop at 200 yds with a remaining energy of 723 ft lbs and 2433 fps. At 300 yards it's a -10.2" drop, 536ft lbs energy and 2095 fps.
Now look at the startling difference in that and a 7.62x39 military type load. The ballistics table didn't have a 123 grain bullet listed so I used the next lighter one.
110 gr fmj with a muzzle velocity of 2300fps and 1292 ft lbs of energy.(That's 900 fps less than the .223 right out of the box! And even though the bullet is twice as heavy,the muzzle energy is a virtual toss up.) A 100 yard zero produces -8.7" drop at 200 yds with a remaining energy of 538 ft lbs and 1484 fps. At 300 yards it's a -33.5" drop, 349ft lbs energy and 1195 fps. It only gets uglier as the distances increase. In a nutshell the russian round looses by a land slide. And the military ballistics of the 7.62 can't be improved upon much by reloaders due to the limited powder capacity of the case. The .223 can be improved upon by a bunch.

#13 ·
Good link Mike. Now I'm not knocking the mouse rounds, but we should have the info on both calibers as accurate as possible. 7.62x39 is 123gr @ 2350fps. Using your bullet size 5.56x45 NATO is/was 55gr @ 3000fps. http://www.ar15.com/docs/primer/
7.62x39
muzzle - 1445 ft lb
100 yd - 1092 ft lb
200 yd - 813 ft lb
300 yd - 599 ft lb
NATO 5.56x45
muzzle - 1099 ft lb
100 yd - 836 ft lb
200 yd - 626 ft lb
300 yd - 460 ft lb
Clearly more energy all the way out.
As to bullet drop, sighting in the M-43 at 200 yds works. It is 4" high at 100 yds, on at 200 yds and down 15" at 300 yrds. No argument that the .223 is flatter, but zero the 7.62x39 at 150 to 200 yrds.
As to handloading, I use 150 gr boat tail, ( high ballistic coeffecient), @ 2200 fps.. Flatter trajectory than standard military 7.62x39 123 gr and more energy. I am still checking on the .223 fps though. AR15.com was the fastest place to look and the link above states 3000 fps.
...and it can punch through kevlar and car doors, hunt big game, down planes, stop tanks, oh no, I'm catching it. BBS
BullletinBoard Bu!! S***

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 02-15-2001).]

#14 ·
M193 (milspec 55gr) 5.56x45 is 3250 fps at the muzzle.

Can you run that through a calculator?

Wait, let's see if I have my spreadsheet...

The BC on a 55gr boat tail is about 0.27.

A 300 yard zero (like the US military uses) gives you a max of about 4.25" high at 175 yards, dead on at 300, dropping to 11 inches low at 400.
Energy is as follows:

Yards: Energy (lb/ft)
0 - 1289
100 - 1019
200 - 798
300 - 617

------------------
webmaster@perfectunion.com
http://perfectunion.com/

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited 02-15-2001).]

#17 ·
If you want to shoot down A-10's with the .223 you gotta lay on a store of Green tip SS109. I heard they are good for rhino out to 500 yds too. LOL Just kidding, the Rhino has to be within 250 yds for a clean kill.

Seriously, this is the kind of discussion that does us all some good. You have to read up on the subject a little and that's never a bad thing.

BTW, if it were me, and money was no object, and if I wasn't so old and weak, I'd go for the M1A. Now that's a rifle!

#24 ·
Seriously, this is the kind of discussion that does us all some good. You have to read up on the subject a little and that's never a bad thing.
Couldn't agree more. I've never owned a gun chambered in 7.62, and the mini 14 I picked up over the weekend is the first .223 I've owned. This thread is providing some great information about both calibers. Thanks to everyone for the knowledge.

#18 ·
I see where CZ has come out now with one of their bolt actions in 7.62x39. Perhaps this round has something going for it after all. I'd probably have a .223 excepting, they're not legal for deer here in Washington State... and since I don't shoot dogs, big or little, I've no real use for a .223. I would say though, .223 is just fine if ya have a use for it.

#22 ·
I was all jiggedy about the cz carbine in 7.62 x 39 until I saw the bore size , .310 instead of .308 , I would think that accuracy would suffer a bit but may be wrong since I have never reloaded that round but it looks like it could be a dandy deer rifle in a thick woods. the 300 black out is somewhat close to the same balistics so we will see where that goes.
as far as 7.62 vs 5.56 I see that debate like ginger or mary ann . just pick one then learn how to use it.

#25 ·
I would choose 7.62 for brush, thick forest deer hunting and urban shtf and CQB. Everything else (desert jackrabbits/ coyotes/open country combat) 5.56/.223 mini 14. I would definately go with 5.56/.223 if I lived in a rural area where 7.62 ammo might be more difficult to come by at the local store(s).

#30 ·
300 AAC Blackout

How about the 300 AAC Blackout? 7.62x35mm
300 AAC Blackout 16-inch barrel: 125 gr OTM, Velocity: 2,215 ft/s Energy: 1,360 ft·lbf
The 300 AAC Blackout looks like a new cartridge which should actually make it in the market. With an AR, one only has to change out the Barrell - that's it, which is only $150 to $250 if one already has an AR..

I just priced getting a Mini re-barreled in 300 AAC and don't consider it cost effective. ASI quoted $795 plus the cost of a reamer - est price of that, between $90 and $150. And then the modified Mini wouldn't be serviceable at Ruger.

#28 ·
I think it is a question of balance between rifle and caliber. I own a later model mini 14 and believe it performs best with what it was originally designed for, the .223/5.56 ( I like 62gr. best). I also own a Russian Tula SKS and it is fine shooting military grade steel case 7.62. Both are relatively accurate and very reliable. both are fine SHTF options. I have other sporting rifles and shotguns each of which have a role be it doves, deer or other game. What do I keep by the bedstand? A Louisville Slugger and a Stoeger 12 ga. double coach gun. That assumes they get past my Wife who becomes very ill-tempered when rudely awoken in the middle of the night. Believe me here. She only shoots one gun. It is her S&W .38 Detective Special. I've watched her at the range. It is really scary! All double action rapid fire, all closely grouped center mass. Over and over again. She is McGivern re-incarnated. The only thing deadlier is her tuna casserole. I would rather be water boarded over an extended period.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.