Perfect Union banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I picked up a bunch of different .308 ammo in trade yesterday. 120 rounds of what I got is some type of surplus ammo. Its brass cased fmj. It is in 20 round unmarked cardboard boxes. The headstamp has four markings on it, one each at the 12, 3, 6, and 9 oclock positions. the four markings are 10, 50, 8, and the last one is a small star with a dash next to it. My buddy who I got it from said he thought it was british but he cant remember because he got it a long time ago. I have looked all over online and in some of my books and cant find any info. Mostly, I am concerned if it is corrosive or not. Thanks in advance for the info guys.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
If its NATO ammo its not corrosive as no NATO country ever produced any corrosive 7.62 NATO ammunition.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Unless it has the NATO "cross in circle" stamp, it isn't NATO-spec. It could still be non-corrosive, but the odds go way down.
The headstamp sounds Warsaw Pact / com-bloc; they tended to have multiple numbers. If so, strong odds are that it's corrosive-primed.
Is the bullet attracted to a magnet?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Unless it has the NATO "cross in circle" stamp, it isn't NATO-spec. It could still be non-corrosive, but the odds go way down.
The headstamp sounds Warsaw Pact / com-bloc; they tended to have multiple numbers. If so, strong odds are that it's corrosive-primed.
Is the bullet attracted to a magnet?
Yes, if its com-block it may or may not be corrosively primmed. I I was in any doubt I would just clean as if it were corrosive, its only one extra step to heat up some water and flush out the chamber, barrel and bolt then clean as normal.

I shoot old surplus .303 thats corrosive primmed all the time out of a number of Enfield's and have never had a problem with rust or corrosion setting in. I just properly clean and oil my rifles.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys I actually figured it out. It turns out it is not even .308 but it is some czech 8mm mauser surplus. I guess my buddy got it mixed up with other ammo. I knew something was up with it because it looked a little different than normal .308.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Masuer 8mm surplus ammo

I am always looking for mil-surp 7.9x57mm (8mm mauser) ball ammo- also 7x57mm mauser ball ammo- as well as white box eley NM 30-06-- primers not an issue as i don't reload, and I ouch out the bores on my rifles with Hoppe's after every time I have shot them- old habit--::blink:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am always looking for mil-surp 7.9x57mm (8mm mauser) ball ammo- also 7x57mm mauser ball ammo- as well as white box eley NM 30-06-- primers not an issue as i don't reload, and I ouch out the bores on my rifles with Hoppe's after every time I have shot them- old habit--::blink:
Thanks for the help guys. I am going to hold on to this ammo. I might just have to pick up an 8mm mauser now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts