Perfect Union banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i was thinking about pickinking up a 223 suppressor for my mini and a 22 bolt. I was wondering what it took to run subsonic ammo out of a sbr mini? if you could run both subsonic and supersonic ammo with the same gas system? what would be ideal is if you could adjust the gas system on the fly so you had the option to work the bolt manually if you wanted to go really silent. any help on this would be greatly appricated.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
Sub sonic ammo will not produce enough gas to operate the mini bolt, it would be a single shot with a high cap mag.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was thinking that, but will it jam everyshot or will you just need to work the slide? is there no way to change springs or adjust the gas system to run subsonic?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats exactly what i was looking for! now just wonder if anyone uses this with a suppressor. im trying to make my ultimate mini, ive made the mini my primary go to weapon from hd to coyote hunting. hunting with a supressor is legal in wv ;) and if something does happen that i have to arise to the occasion in my home i'd rather not make my kids deaf

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
honestly is use another firearm for home defense as the .223 will penetrate to easily inside a home.
i'm by no means want to open this box of worms, check out some facts though @ TheBoxOfTruth.com it might change your mind in what to grab for those bumps in the night, i was like you thinking it was safer to grab my 9MM.
im blessed to live in a rual area when know my floorplan and that there is no other houses around to go through makes my mini more than proficient at what i need it for.
Some of my rude wake up calls might be a **** in the trash or coyotte around my dogs. those 40 yard shots are much easier with my mini.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have heard from people that tried using the mini with a supressor that they got a face full of burnt powder from the garand action. If I were to use a supressor on the mini I would get that adj. gas block and shut it all the way off and use the mini like a bolt gun.

Cant seem to find the thread about it though, sorry:(

·
Registered
118 Posts
Can someone please educate me on this? I've read several posts about the "face full of burnt powder" and not being able to cycle the action. Are these the result of the suppressor, or of the reduced-power subsonic loads people shoot out of them? I just don't see how adding a can at the end of the barrel would result in these things.

I know zero about suppressors, though. Fill my head with knowledge, please.

·
Registered
397 Posts
There is somebody on here that has used a suppressed mini on this board and he will be along probably. I am not sure but thought it was an AC556 though. Could be wrong i am still seeing Red!

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you put a suppressor on a mini you will get a bunch of the powder in your face. This is because when the bullet leaves the Barrel, enters the suppressor the gases will start slow down in the suppressor and will take the quickest path out of the gun, that's back down the barrel through the chamber and in your face.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Whats the point in a subsonic .223? you may aswell just use a 10/22 with the 60 grain aquila SSS ammo and a silencer.
Silencers are encouraged in my country so there is not much coolness that goes with having one just because.
If you really want to shoot subsonic from a mini at least do it with a mini-30 so you have some weight behind the projectiles.
Its going to be louder and heavier then a .22lr and its not going to do much more.
Sure you can go all out and try load some heavy projectiles, even then it will not have much on a lowly .22lr with 60grainers
Dont get me wrong I like silencers and have several of them myself, I say go for it and silence the mini but dont bother with the sub sonic ammo

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
I think places like Sweden can use suppressed minis and some are members here from way back. No one has ever mentioned getting a face full of burned powder. I think it could happen with any gas operated rifle. The cans they are using doesn't quiet the gun completely but does reduce to a 22 lr. If try to reduce the sound too much I can see were you could get the gas in the face.

·
AC-556 Owner
740 Posts
I have an AC 556 with a suppressor.

Wear safety glasses if you shoot a suppressed mini. You will get crap in your face

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've heard of the burn, I guess that's a big downfall! Thanks for the hint though. I defenetly get the adjustable gas block before I use the can, gives me one more control over my gun.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts