Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I bought nine no name 30rnd blued mini mags at a gun show. I tested them all with a 100% success rate. I have since put roughly 1300 rnds total through these mags, either wolf 55grn fmj or SA 55grn fmj. Today I experienced countless mag related failures; two rounds trying to chamber at once was the main problem but also they were ejecting live rounds along with the empty casing! If anyone has any advise I would appreciate it. Upon inspection they are not dirty or damaged in any way, they just all of the sudden suck. I am seriously contemplating getting a bunch of the ten round Pro Mags and sticking with that. I am so fed up with these stupid magazines laws! Sorry for the rant.:usa:

·
Registered
689 Posts
MW740 I don't know about a fix for the cheap mags maybe try bending the feed lips. Seems funny they worked once but now they don't. The no name mags I have came as a package deal with a used Mini they do look cheap. The sheet steel is quite thin and it seems easy to bend the lips. It seems by Dave and RK's postings there real happy with the new Pro Mags. Dave said he had to trim a few followers but they've worked very well. I think I might pick up a couple myself and try'em. Awhile back Aldo had a post about fixing the cheaper mags and then using kasenit to harden the lips, you might want to check his post.

·
Registered
685 Posts
sound like the feed lips are to wide . i just took my 30 rnd no name out and no probs after 90 . not rubbing it in but wolff mag spring might help.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm pretty sure that you are both correct. As much as I hate to put the effort in, I'm going to have to pull out the calipers and re-work the lips so that they are exactly like the factory mag and then case harden them.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yep,cheap ass soft sheet metal,I'll bet a months pay that its weakend after the bolt has gone over and over and over it,and the feed lips have gotten ever so slightly distorted and they will not feed.Try the wolf spring and Kasnite trick,it really works,but I still bought 2 PMI 30 rounders in case the SH$T hits the fan,I want a REAL GOOD MAG,not even one of my fixer upper mags.Aldo

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey Aldo,

i'm familiar with shaping feed lips, could you share the kasenit trick??? (I know what Kasenit is, how do you apply it?)

·
Registered
162 Posts
You clean the metal of all finish"paint or blueing".And follow the instructions that come with the can of Kasnete.You basically heat the part up and put in the Kasnete.You can get the temp you need for the lips with a MAPP or hotter torch.I would by some tempex also.You paint this stuff on and when you get to the needed temp. it changes color.Buy your stuff thru Brownell's,Wolff springs,stock Ruger 5 round mag followers,Kasnete,Tempex.If you E-mail the tech support boys at Brownell's they will give you an answer on the heat range for the tempex you need for the Kasnete.I just go by the color of the steel.but I have been doing this for a long time at work"30+ years",The color is between red to white,I can't explain it ,but just do it.use the tempex its cheap and works. ALDO

1 - 7 of 7 Posts