Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a used ruger 10/22 at a local pawn shop. It looks to be an older model but in good working order. I am loosely familiar with the platform and it parts but there is a strange paddle located inside the trigger guard in front of the trigger itself. After i charge the bolt it appears to act as another trigger. it releases the firing pin whether i push it or pull it. I can also use the trigger itself to release the firing pin. any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Toujours Pret!
71 Posts
I've never seen one of those before.

My guess is that someone installed it as a rapid fire device if it's releasing the hammer. Just keep your finger bouncing between this thing and the trigger for a money wasting good time. ;)

That's my guess anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I thought too but it looked but I didn't really know enough about the ruger to make that call. Have you ever seen anything like it?

·
Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
maybe it was installed for someone with a disability that made it impossible to "pull" a trigger... but possible to "push" a trigger?

like a guy with a partially amputated index finger?

I donno... :blink:

·
Registered
8 Posts
2 stage adjustable trigger that weapon depending on condition could be worth a figure that will get your attention and is rare as hell. The guy or gal who sold it to you definitely were ignorant of weapons. Finally a pawn shop gets served congrats!

·
Registered
8,374 Posts
I just picked up a used ruger 10/22 at a local pawn shop. It looks to be an older model but in good working order. I am loosely familiar with the platform and it parts but there is a strange paddle located inside the trigger guard in front of the trigger itself. After i charge the bolt it appears to act as another trigger. it releases the firing pin whether i push it or pull it. I can also use the trigger itself to release the firing pin. any thoughts?
Hi myoplex;

Are you sure that the front trigger is releasing the hammer? Frankly it looks more like a set trigger to me, where "setting" the trigger will drop the rear trigger's weight of pull. It would probably make a small "tick" or "click" noise as it is setting the sear/hammer engagement to a hair trigger, but if the front paddle really is releasing the hammer completely then it could be grossly out of adjustment, releasing the hammer rather than setting the trigger.

I looked up all the oddball "trigger activators" I could remember - Gat, Hellfire, Hellfire 2000, etc and couldn't find anything like that beast. Interesting is definitely the word. There was a thing called a "doublefire" but that involved a trigger that fired on pull and release. Each was regarded as a manipulation of the trigger by BATFE but the net effect was a gun that was grossly dangerous.

Don't know if you feel comfortable removing your FCG from the rifle to take a look but that would tell the tale of what is going on in there.

Best,
Grumpy

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Myoplex: You might try posting this up at RimfireCentral.com.

The guys here are extremely knowledgeable -- don't get me wrong. But RFC has a much more active 10/22 section -- there are hundreds of members there who've literally seen it all when it comes to these little rifles.

I have no clue what the purpose of that could be, without seeing some pics of the trigger group disassembled and the relationship of the parts.

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
I vote for the set trigger theory, given the location I'd say you push it forward for the set. I'd be surprised if somebody on rimfirecentral couldn't tell you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The big question

It is for the trigger take it to a smithie. I had one when I shot on a team and again the thing is a goldmine to a collector and find out for yourself. Your one lucky cat again contgradulations.

·
Registered
681 Posts
2 stage adjustable trigger that weapon depending on condition could be worth a figure that will get your attention and is rare as hell. The guy or gal who sold it to you definitely were ignorant of weapons. Finally a pawn shop gets served congrats!
Ahh, could you explain how this makes it a two-stage and adjustable? Pretty vague picture. Don't see this as being anything that would be "worth a figure that will get your attention."

As for the OP, I think looking inside and seeing exactly what it does would be the best route as just an external view shows nothing going on inside. Look and see how it works with the other internal parts and you'll find out exactly what it is. Don't know what an unmarked car has for an engine without opening the hood. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
trigger gizmo

They were rare in the fact that it you had one you were on a RUGER SPONSORED TEAM. Was not a rifle you could just order they were made specificly for teams. You can go round and roundabout it all day and speculate (THE CHICKEN OR EGG) which was 1st. Contact Ruger give them the serial # they may have it archived and yes are worth a bit and depending on what team and who will determine its worth and condition as well. Shucks dude Ive got a tricked out Troy Industries scope/tactical light/laser with pressure switches and folding sights I'll trade you straight up!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Did anyone ever come up with a definitive answer on what this was /is?

WE also need a pic of the FCG removed so we can see the inside.

Randy

Reactions: apatriot88
1 - 20 of 21 Posts