Perfect Union banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to store my gun with a gun lock, my question is should i store the weapon with the bolt open or closed? if i close it the lock with be stopping it from fully closing, will this be bad for the rifle? i heard it is bad to keep a bolt open for long periods of time because it puts more tension on the spring. i can't really keep the weapon without a lock because i am temporarily living in a friends house, so i don't have anywhere to store it where i could keep it without a lock. if i did keep it open which spring would i have to replace? just the recoil spring i am assuming?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
You won't have to replace any springs. I would store it with the lock through the action and the bolt slowly lowered against the cable or lock. If you store it with the action locked back its pretty easy to bump the charging handle and have the bolt slam forward under spring force.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You won't have to replace any springs. I would store it with the lock through the action and the bolt slowly lowered against the cable or lock. If you store it with the action locked back its pretty easy to bump the charging handle and have the bolt slam forward under spring force.
okay thanks, bought some spare springs a few days ago anyways just in case

·
Registered
145 Posts
You could always remove the bolt and put the lock through. You would not have to worry about the springs at all. I did this with my Yugo Mauser before I had a gun safe.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
I store all my minis with the bolt open to prevent carbon seizure around the piston and op rod. I have been doing this for 20 yrs and only had problems with bolt closed.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I store all my minis with the bolt open to prevent carbon seizure around the piston and op rod. I have been doing this for 20 yrs and only had problems with bolt closed.
I used to store mine like that up until the day I was trying to get something out of the back of the safe and bumped the charging handle on the Mini and the bolt slammed shut and pinched the side of my hand, drew blood too. The safe was crowded and I should have pulled the long guns in the front out first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts