Perfect Union banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When storing my Ranch Rifle, should I have the bolt held open or should it be closed? I have noticed with USA brand mags it is almost impossible to insert them if the bolt is closed. Thanks for the help.

------------------
Comet~

·
Registered
45 Posts
My vote is bolt closed. Extrapolating the logic used for not leaving magazines loaded for extended perionds, I reason that if the bolt is held in the open position, it's compressing the operating rod spring. If it's left in that position for extended periods, it could cause the spring to take a set and not slam the bolt closed as violently as Mr. Ruger envisioned.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Comet, you can store your Mini either way. In my armory will store the weapons with the bolt open if the magazine is not in the weapon, (for safety reasons). So far I haven't seen any real detrimental affects of during this. The other way we store the weapon is with the bolt closed with the magazine. Of the two ways we store the weapon, either really doesn't affect it. I have replaced recoil springs on a Mini a couple of times. This is bacause these weapons were our range training weapons, and are used extensively, and they (Mini-14) were anywhere from 10 to 12 years old. Either way you store your weapon always remember to clean and lube prior to going to the range. Hope this helps R6721

1 - 3 of 3 Posts