Perfect Union banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I'm not the only one who has been stiffed at an auction. I purchased a Steyr M-95 some time ago that was in excellent condition, so it was described at the auction, when it arrived I found out otherwise and the seller refused to refund the money. ANYWAY.....I've disassembled the rifle completely and have stripped the stock of all the old finish. I don't know what type of wood it is and I don't know what would be the best material to use to put a new finish on it. I would like to know what those of you who have done this before would recommend. Thanks to all of those who reply.

:sniper:

P.S.
I steamed the stock to remove as many dings as I could and to remove the stuff deeply embedded in the wood .

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I'm headed out in the morning to see what I can find at the store.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Tailgunner. I went with the Tung oil. I'm on the fourth coat, haven't got to the waxin' yet. When I get the whole thing finished I'll post a pic.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As far as how many coats to apply.... the more you apply the darker it seems to get. I put 5 coats total. The first two were what I'd call regular and the others were layed on rather thick. After each coat I let it dry for the recommended time on the can then buffed it out.

The wax is a finishing wax with Carnuba oils in it. I've been out of town with work and hope to get the rifle completely back together this weekend.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.