Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I'm not the only one who has been stiffed at an auction. I purchased a Steyr M-95 some time ago that was in excellent condition, so it was described at the auction, when it arrived I found out otherwise and the seller refused to refund the money. ANYWAY.....I've disassembled the rifle completely and have stripped the stock of all the old finish. I don't know what type of wood it is and I don't know what would be the best material to use to put a new finish on it. I would like to know what those of you who have done this before would recommend. Thanks to all of those who reply.

:sniper:

P.S.
I steamed the stock to remove as many dings as I could and to remove the stuff deeply embedded in the wood .

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Go with the standard oil finishs (IMHO) Boiled linseed, Tung, Danish, etc., topped off with some hand rubbed carnuba wax. They are more work but high quality. There is also the Lyn-speed oil (like the Boiled linseed but faster / easier) If the wood is a light color you can stain it before oiling.
I don't care for the shine of varnish or (YUCK) poly finishing

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I'm headed out in the morning to see what I can find at the store.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Tailgunner. I went with the Tung oil. I'm on the fourth coat, haven't got to the waxin' yet. When I get the whole thing finished I'll post a pic.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Sniper, how'd it turn out? :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys, I'm currently refinishing a stock, and I have chosen to go with the tung oil myself. I just finished sanding, so my question is how many coats of oil do I put on and what do I put on over it? Sniper said something about wax, what kind do I use? Thanks for any help...Mark

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As far as how many coats to apply.... the more you apply the darker it seems to get. I put 5 coats total. The first two were what I'd call regular and the others were layed on rather thick. After each coat I let it dry for the recommended time on the can then buffed it out.

The wax is a finishing wax with Carnuba oils in it. I've been out of town with work and hope to get the rifle completely back together this weekend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts