Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I ordered a Fajen unfinished Silhouette Stock, it is a laminate, I should have it tue. or wed, and was wondering if any of you have finished a stock, and what would you recommend? I was wondering about using the True Oil for a sealer, and Stock Wax? any sugestions or experiences good or bad would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Just saw this and was wonderinf if you've finished it and how did it turn out?

:sniper:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Cajungeo,
How did it turn out? Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the 10/22 come with a birch stock? I've only seen one finish from Ruger, can't tell you what it is though.

It seems there are only a few recommended choices. Linseed oil, tung oil, either with some beeswax, and maybe add a secret ingredient. With all the artists out there, I'm sure there are other great ways to finish a stock.

KC

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have not refinished a laminate stock before but if it is in a stripped condition I would add a stain first and then BLO.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi guys. I am finishing 2 stocks at once. The origional Silhouette stock in cinimen, and also a Fajen Sporter stock in midnight. Both laminate. After much research, I decided to go by the instructions in this link: http://riflestocks.tripod.com/index.html It also has many other good instructions: bedding, crowning etc. I am using Tru-oil avail at walmart.

I do not like sanding, it is like washing dishes by hand to me! There seems to be many distractions, and other, priorties (2 hurricanes, 2 floods, bailing water, building shelves, repairing roof, prepairing for deer hunting season, etc). Inspite of these odds, I have completed the finish sanding stages.(The fajen stock is rougher than boydes, but has a nicer grain laminate). Completed the sealing stage, currently finishing the grain filling stage. In this humidity, it takes a 48 hr cure for each coat. I have wet sanded, and filled 3 times, I predict 3 more. I want the deep high gloss finish, it will take 6 of those to finish. I'm not making excuses, I should have been finished. Despite this I plan to bed the barrel, and action this week end so I can begin shooting, will finish the stock in between. The tru-oil makes the stock darker so I did not use dye. Both have a beautyful grain. Will post pictures when I'm done. Hopefully soon!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts