Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the sound of lead hitting steel. When I am shooting recreationally, and just having fun, it is my go to target. The cost of a quality target is kind of a bummer, but I definitely think it is worth it. I find when teaching a new shooter, it is a valuable thing to have because they get instant feedback via the *ding* and know if they are doing all of the fundamentals correctly.
What do my fellow PU members think when it comes to shooting steel?
What is your favorite kind of steel target? (Static steel, popper, swinger, ect..)

If you want to hear some steel ringing, check out this short clip of me enjoying a sunny afternoon here in wonderful KS. (P.S. It's not as flat as you all think ;))

·
Registered
344 Posts
Old cans of tomato juice, gallon jugs of water, pill bottles filled with sand and steel, any target that reacts is more fun than continually shooting at a bullseye after you are dialed in and know it. Yesterday I had a fellow Nam vet 72 years old shoot my 10 gauge at water filled 2 gallon detergent jugs. They reacted quite properly and he grins at me and says "I did goof huh?" First time with a 10 gauge I would say he did real good. Still grinning when he got in his truck to go home. :lol:

·
American realist
316 Posts
i have a large supply of scrap steel in the shop & plan on making some steel targets over the winter. i have enough plate steel, tubing, angle & solid rod to build a range full of targets. should be fun!

·
Registered
36 Posts
i have a large supply of scrap steel in the shop & plan on making some steel targets over the winter. i have enough plate steel, tubing, angle & solid rod to build a range full of targets. should be fun!
Armor steel, or just steel? Just regular old steel wont stand up to being shot.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Not with high power rounds, but my 1/4" steel targets are only shot with 22's and with lead bullets from centerfire pistol calibers and have been around for close to 12 years now. Years ago at a gun club I used to go to regularly I refused to shoot at their pistol targets with my .357 and 44 mags and the club president said oh go ahead they are only pistols, One target they are still using, a JHP from my .357 cracked it but not completely. My 44 mag with 240 gr of JSP knocked a big chunk off the sheep leaving only the legs and tail. Today their rule is lead only. Funny how easy it is to make a point. :lol:

·
American realist
316 Posts
wont matter to me. i have enough steel that if & when the target pads get shot up, i can weld on another one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts