Perfect Union banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas,
Just wanted to pass along this handguard I found on eBay. Ventilated blued steel (I think I saw a stainless one too somewhere). Does anyone have one of these? There are still a few left. I already ordered mine and its due to arrive on Thursday. I'll post pics ASAP with a wood stock.

Ruger Mini 14 30 Ventilated Metal Steel Handguard | eBay

Any guesses as to how hot a steel handguard might get?

·
USAF SF
220 Posts
I saw those as well and they really caught my eye, but I decided to purchase an Amega Ranges scout rail/handguard.

Also, after I looked through the pictures, the handguard appeared to be a little less sleek than the primary picture.

Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I wanted more venting and a metal one wasn't available when I was looking, so I bought this:

Eight BIG vents, and doesn't conduct heat like metal does.
:D

·
Registered
832 Posts
I really dig the bayonet on that rifle! It is actually a very good idea for those that can't find ammo and don't reload. You could set up a course with dummies and tires and stuff like basic training and still have fun with it! LOL!

·
Registered
86 Posts
ive had one on my mini for a few years now. I also found it on ebay. It is by far the best handguard out there. I've never been able to get it hot enough to be uncomfortable. It cools quickly with all those holes. I had to tweak open the barrel clip a little bit, and cleaned up the edges with a file, but they are very solid and well made. way better than anything plastic.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Considering the clip is the only part that actually contacts the barrel, I'm really not anticipating much trouble with it as far as heat is concerned. Yours looks great shipwright!

And this should be a good way to get a little more steel in the gun safe. Never was a fan of plastic on rifles, which is why I got a Mini in the first place.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I finally got out to the range today to sight in my Mini and left the allen wrench at home. :rolleyes:

But I put about 40 rounds through it, in no particular hurry, and the handguard got a bit warm, but not hot. So I think I'll keep it. And if the militia is ever called forth, I'll swap on the Choate for heavy duty use.

It clipped right on with no adjustment necessary, and looks pretty darn good in my opinion.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.