Perfect Union banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experimented with cutting the wooden butt stock on a Mini-14 to a flat configuration and installing a steel butt plate from an AR15 or M1 carbine? The AR15 would probably be too wide but the carbine or another rifle's butt plate may fit.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Wooden stock on a Mini is too short for most people as it is. Check my gallery post on how I fitted a surplus M-16 butt plate with a trapdoor (hard plastic with steel armature inside) to the Hogue OM stock.

V

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw your stock and it looked great. TI like the wooden stock look (m14) and am looking for a way to put a flat metal butt plate on the mini-14. Maybe that will not be possible.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Is there an easy way to extend the length of the mini-14 stock? I have seen a recoil pad for the stock (adds about 1-2"), but it states that it will not work with the ranch model (which I have).

Any suggestions?

Chris M

·
Registered
581 Posts
Numrich Gun Parts Corporation has or had metal buttpads for the Mini-14.

Dennis Jenkins

Originally posted by maddog7
Has anyone experimented with cutting the wooden butt stock on a Mini-14 to a flat configuration and installing a steel butt plate from an AR15 or M1 carbine? The AR15 would probably be too wide but the carbine or another rifle's butt plate may fit.

·
Registered
198 Posts
mikr,
Yes sir - Numrich Gun Parts Corporation
Have you checked out voruzon's mini, A2 trapdoor buttplate on his houge stock. I must remember to ask where he got that.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I got that at Numrich for $8. It required quite a lot of grinding/filing but I am happy with the result.

V

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
ICM, thanks for the new Ruger site link which I borrowed from you in the general discussion bd, and made it a sticky in this forum. It contains a lot of often asked info.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I second those who recommend the Numrich steel buttplate. It isn't a perfect fit, but rather than try to grind it, I filled in the gaps between wood and metal with leather padding. Works fine, and adds about 1/4 inch to the length.

I can't imagine why Ruger puts that flimsy plastic buttplate on the Mini. How many tenths of a cent are they saving?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I went to the Numrich's web site and could not find a steel buttplate, so mabey I can fabricate my own. Anyone know of another scource ?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yes, the link does work.When I done a search for steel buttplate on the Numrich site, it would show 0 matches.Thanks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
:rapid: My 180 series came with a steel butt plate. See pics in gallery :sniper: **** Dawg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts