Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the stainless mini-14's because they don't rust. But I've heard that regular steel is stronger than stainless, in its ability to resist ware. Does anyone know exactly what the true differences, if any, are between the blued receivers/barrels and the stainless receivers/barrels?

Under normal conditions, I doubt there is any real difference. But I am purchasing an AC556 and plan on shooting the tar out of it! It will need to resist ware than it will need to resist rust.

Also, has anyone mixed and matched blued and stainless parts? What is everyone's thoughts on this?

·
Registered
723 Posts
I have a book on the Mini-14 and it said the blue barrels were more durable,and stood up to heat better.But they dont provide as much corrosion resistance as the stainless.But I prefer blue if taken care of correctly you want need to worry about it.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't know about the durability of blued vs stainless. Although with stainless you have the chance of the metal "galling" as it rubs together. I like the stainless (I don't clean my guns very often) and have a mini-14 (stainless) that has been only bump fired several thousands of times. In fact the barrel had gotten so hot that it has warped the handguard. It probably shoots the best out of the bunch I have. Mini's are tough guns to break

·
Registered
689 Posts
I think the blued minis may be a little more durable. I'm not sure of the alloy used maybe 4130 or 4140, but its easier to cast and heat treat than stainless. I'd like to see a post about the firing pin and extractor breakage reported by mini owners to see if these are common to both models or more common to stainless models. I own both types blued and stainless 182- 186 series, but have not broken any parts yet. http://www.ruger-ric.com/pages/home/default.htm also for you golfers out there http://www.rugergolf.com/clubmaker.htm

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Even if this is an old thread, I have read several articles on chrome molly barrels, verses stainless steel, some articles prefer stainless, and some prefer chrom molly. Personally I chose the stainless, as the weather here is very humid, and steel rusts very quickly, the stainless requires very little care. I have both blued guns, and stainless. I will only buy stainless anymore. Performance wise I doubt the average shooter could tell the diff. Get what ya like.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts