Perfect Union banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had pretty much decided after shooting one, that my first full size was going to be a XDm. I shot 50 rounds through a Ruger SR-9 and I really enjoyed the gun. To me felt recoil was lower and I quickly adapted to the gun putting rounds on the bullseye.

I'm not really asking which should I choose, I'm just wanting opinions from people so I can weigh the pros and cons. I've watched and read a lot about the XDm, and there's a good review of the SR-9 on youtube. Plus I'm a bit of a Ruger fan, so the SR-9 would fit right in with my mini and 10-22 :).

So, what do you guys think?? Pros and cons between the Springfield XDm and the Ruger SR-9.

Dan

·
Registered
529 Posts
Choice

If you liked the XDM. Go check out the XD 9 and try it. The price should be closer to the Ruger. I own a XD 9 service (4" barrel) and is nice and fits my hand and shoots well..............Joe

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First thing to me is the price, Ruger SR-9 is $425 in my shop, Springfield XDM
is $585. That difference buys a lot of extra ammo
The price difference is about the same where I am too. That was another thing that got my mind on the SR-9.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Well out here, the XD-9 is about $485, still makes the Ruger look good!
I actually own an XD-40, I think it does what it is supposed to, I even did my CCW Permit qualification with it... It just isn't one of my favorite guns, I don't even carry it. If you like the Ruger, I would give it a try- it is even made in America and that is a nice touch.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ruger SR9 post-recall is one of the best 9mms ever built, take out the mag disconnect and your golden. I fired 800 rounds thru mine since july 2009 not one single fail. i fired many other 9mms they had soem fail to fires .

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have an SR9 and love it.My final 2 choices for my 9mm purchase was the SR9 and the XDM.Basically because they fit my hand well.Price really didn't play a big factor but I have never had a Ruger I wasn't happy with.The only drawback is the lack of add on parts but they are showing up since my purchase(lasers,sights,etc.)

·
Registered
16 Posts
SR9 design flaw causes jams when hand extracting

THIS IS A COPY OF THE EMAIL I SENT TO RUGER TODAY (YES I GOT AN EMAIL ADDRESS!)

Hi Ruger!
The SR9 has an engineering design flaw that can cause it to jam when extracting a round by hand.
Depending on how hard and where the operator grips the slide,
EITHER..
(a) the extractor lets go of its grip [on] the round. The round is free to drop vertically, but remains constrained horizontally. The round drops under gravity, and the back rim of the round hangs up on the top forward lip (the ridge between the case and the bullet) of the next round in the mag waiting to feed, and jams the action.
OR if the operator grips the slide with more pressure..
(b) the extractor lets go of its grip [on] the round entirely. The round is free to move vertically and horizontally. The round falls loose in the feed area and the slide trys to feed the next round under it and both rounds jam the action.
The EXTRACTOR is in the right side of the gun and the outside of the EXTRACTOR sticks out a bit beyond the serrations for racking the slide. When you rack the slide and your thumb is on the serrations and on the EXTRACTOR you are putting pressure on the EXTRACTOR.
You can repeat this experiment with any SR9 or SR9c, to isolate the hand-pressure variable..
1. Take the slide off, remove the return spring and barrel.
2. Take the naked slide, and slip a round up under the EXTRACTOR so it is held by the EXTRACTOR and the breech face.
3. Hold the slide vertically right-way-up - the way it sits on the gun.
4. Look down on the slide and see the round being held horizontally by the EXTRACTOR and the breech face.
5. Press the side of slide on the serrations and on the EXTRACTOR behind the pivot point.
6. Watch the round fall on the floor!

On the Stoeger Cougar for example the EXTRACTOR is well away from the slide-racking serrations, and well recessed. You couldn't put thumb pressure on it while racking the slide, even if you tried. And the same goes for most other pistols.

The fix for Ruger, without a major redesign of the SR9, is to plane about an 1/8" off the outside face of the EXTRACTOR so it does not protrude into the slide-racking serrations, making it thereby more-or-less immune to thumb pressure.

In the meantime, if you get a FTF when the chips are down, be careful where you put your thumb when you rack the slide. Otherwise you might wind up with the slide jammed 1/2 way back.

Some pistols like the Beretta Bobcat or the Beretta Tomcat or the Taurus 22B don't even have an extractor, yet you can rack the slide to chamber the first round in the mag, and fire off and eject a magful of ammo with absolutely no problem. An extractor is not necessary to chamber a round because the movement is forwards not backwards. Nor is an extractor necessary after a round fires fires because the empty round pushes itself back against the bolt face, the extractor doesn't pull the round out.
You only become aware of the absence of an extractor when you have to extract a round by pulling back on the slide by hand. Then it takes manual intervention to get the round out. The SR9 works similarly under the same circumstances, except that sometimes it takes manual intervention and sometimes it doesn't, depending on where you grip the slide and how hard.

On the SR9 the right side of the extractor protrudes slightly from the right side of the slide, and looks like a steel bar. The section of this bar to the rear of its pivot pin is the manual extractor release. You press it in to release the extractor. The problem is Ruger has mounted the manual extractor release on the hand serrations for racking the slide.
You can't rack the slide in the Ruger-recommended manner (on the serrations) without operating the manual extractor release.

This is an engineering error equivalent to putting the disable switch on top of the enable switch!

Let me repeat: The fix for Ruger, without a major redesign of the SR9, is to plane about an 1/8" off the outside face of the EXTRACTOR so it does not protrude into the slide-racking serrations, making it thereby more-or-less immune to thumb pressure.
I am making a YouTube video on this in the next few days. If Ruger wants to contribute any input, it needs to be soon.

Truly,
[gnugung]

·
Registered
289 Posts
We all know what the (M) stands for. And that is: MORE!
If I didn't like how big the XDm felt in my hand I would still own one.
I was hitting 12oz soda cans at 60-75 yards with my 9mm. That is the Match grade barrel at work!
You also have to look at mag capacity. HUGE!
Of course my opinion is very bias since I have never even held an SR-9, let alone shot it. You gotta admit, there is nothing fancy about it. Like the Sig 226! (Although it is one hell of a gun, it doesn't need any "add ons" from Sig)
Main point: User preference! Handle and shoot both, then decide. Both are proven firearms.
Pointless and and not well thought out rant there I know...

·
Gun Nut!!!!!
30 Posts
I love my SR9. I even got lucky and scored on with the black slide and O.D. Green frame!!!

Removing the mag safety was super easy. It conceals pretty easy for a fullsize (the fact i am a big guy probably helps.) It shot accurate right out of the box.

The XDM seems really nice too but i have never shot one or owned one.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I started on XD pistols so I'm biased when it comes to striker fired pistols. The XDM is compact is one of my favorite polymer pistols available. I have a thing for short slide pistols that can double as high cap or CC.

I like the SR9 but I don't think the trigger is very good. Quality isn't on line with the XD either. They are very cheap though so if you have budget restrictions it would be my choice. Since a lesser firearm is better if you are more proficient.

If the price isn't as much of an issue over the life of a firearm you are always better off getting the higher quality if you can. 100-200 is a thousand rounds but 10k rounds later you'll probably be happy you spent the extra money on the superior firearm. It's always cheaper to get the item you really want vs settling on something you only like. I prefer the XDM but if you like the SR9 better then it's a better pistol to you and that's all that matters. The only real way to figure it out is to just shoot both.

·
Tangled up in "Blues".
37 Posts
Of the two, I'd be more likely to pick up the Ruger.

Reasons:

The Ruger is trimmer and easier to carry.
The Ruger is American made.
Accuracy and reliability are equal in my experience.

The XD is Croatian made.
The XD is blocky and uncomfortable to concealed carry.

I do like the grip safety on the XD and the ambi mag release but they're not enough to make me like the gun enough to buy one.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I would go XDm. It holds more rounds, has two active safeties, has adjustable grips, comes with a nice case, mag loader, mag holder, paddle holster, gun lock, you dont have to disconnect the mag safety, and it has a match grade barrel. It also has a lot of sizes to fit what you want to use it for. I have a XD 45 and a XDm 9mm. Its also easily field stripped in like 5 seconds.

I personally choose the .45 because i have had it longer and i like a .45 over a 9mm. My gf likes the 9mm. I bought it after my friend became a cop and got a glock .40 (which i think looks cheap but never shot it).

In my experience American made doesnt always means its better. Hell, look at Chevrolet and Chrysler cars versus any japanese car.... :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts