Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a brand new upgrade, been in the vault since 97. Never fired! It has the medium weight NM barrel trigger and flash suppressor with 3 20rd usgi mags. To break it in, should I use fmj, or fmj moly coated Black Hills ammo? If so, can someone here describe the process for breaking in? Also, been reading horror stories on cast receivers and parts breaking. How can I know if the receiver is cast besides calling SA? Thanks for your help, by the way, have ample supplies of both above mentioned ammo.

· Registered
2 Posts
All Springfield Armory rifles have investment cast receivers. This is not a bad thing - forged receivers are better, if you are in combat and expect your rifle to be shot tens of thousands of rounds in a short amount of time. Why cast receivers - they are less expensive to manufacture. I work for one of the largest pump companies in the world, and all of our pumps are manufactured from castings. Some of our big pumps have run continuously for forty years or more. So don't be afraid of a Springfield Armory cast receiver. They have been manufactured since the early 70's and I haven't heard of a catastrophic failure of one during that time. I just acquired a PreBan National Match, but haven't had a chance to wring it out yet. This is my second Springfield Armory. I have also owned 4 Poly-Techs and one Norinco (they weren't pretty but all shot very well right out of the box).

Hope this helps:D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man ,been reading on the dif forums all over trying to learn about these rifles,there is a whole library on these to go thru and absorb

· Registered
48 Posts
What Garandman said about the receiver!! :D

The only thing to consider about the cast model is if you put a scope on the gun. Some mounting systems (like the older version of the ARMs mount) are made for the forged receiver and have to be slightly modified with a file or dremel tool to get a good fit.

Personally, for break-in - I would use the FMJs and the traditional cleaning after every round - rather than using the molys. The whole point of break-in is to knock down any "high" spots in the bore, not slip the bullet over them. I used the FMJs on my SS Loaded barrel and it does just fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.