Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get recommendations for a spotting scope. Will be used primarily for range work with my mini, and bird watching. Weight not a big issue. What is best: power vs variable, objective lens size, top eyepiece vs straight thru, etc. I like Sightron but they are expensive and before I lay out that kind of money I wanted to get your experiences.

· Registered
9,633 Posts
I have used a cheap 15-45x50mm simmons, I returned it, a Simmons Hydrasport, better, but cost almost as much as a WindRiver, A $199 Bushnell, bright, but not sharp, and a $199 15-45x60mm WindRiver, made by Leupold. Its water proof, and is good enough I can see the .223 bullet holes at 200 yds. I got a short $14 tripod from midway for it. If the wind gets up the scope vibrates, because of the tripod, and resoultion goes down, so a good tripod is in order.

I would compare the WindRiver with the Burris if I had a chance. The Burris is cheaper, but as good? Now if you would like to mount a camera for photo, your talking more bucks.

· Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cajungeo

Thanks for input. I don't intend to use for photo work so optics only have to be as sharp as mine. I was looking at the Burris, Bushnel, and Leupold in the MidSouth Cat. You ever talk with anyone who has bought one of the Russian made spotting scopes off of eBay or such? I have a pair of Russiam Made Binocs and they are fair to good quality and the price is right.

· Registered
9,633 Posts
Originally posted by Bam Bam
So a cheap Simmons or Tasco scope will not allow you to see .223 holes at 100 or 200 yards?
I was thinking of getting one of those 40 or 50 dollar specials.
In a word, NO. The Tasco's eye relief was so bad, my eye was inside the eyepiece with my eyeball against the lens. The light never filled the tube. When I pulled back 1/4" the light was only a very small diameter of image. The resolution on both the Tasco, and Simmons, was very poor, could not see a hole in the target at 100 yds. The Other simmons was the Hydrosport, I could just make out the .223 (actually .224") at 100 yds, but it cost $199. My WindRiver is leupold's low end product, but for $199, can see .224" holes at 200 yds, with a solid tripod. In the store I compared the WindRiver With a $200 Bushnell. The Bushnell was very brite, but nowhere in the same class as the WindRiver resolution wise. With the windriver I could see the paint texture clearly across the building, about 50 yds. So I bought it. Now if you really want quality get the real leupold 15-45x60, but then it costs about $850.

dvd here is a thread where someone had a russian spotting scope. http://www.perfectunion.com/forums/showthr...=Spotting+scope

· Registered
318 Posts
I have a leupold wind river shop and you can find one for around $200 Love it.

Jeff :usa:
God bless the USA and the troops with their asses on the line.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.