Perfect Union banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
later down the road, I plan on having my ranch rifles (196) barrel cut down, having a front sight installed, and having the end threaded for an AR muzzle break. I plan on using the front sight as a shoulder for the crush washer. Will this work?

Also, is there a specific length that I should shoot for with this setup? I really dont like the way the 16.5 inch chop looks. Just too short. I am using a houge overmolded ghille green stock, and would like to keep a little more barrel if possible.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
The shoulder for a brake is supposed to be absolutely perpendicular to the bore. I'm not sure that would be the case if you use the front sight. It may work fine since a brake does not have absolutely tight tolerances.

I cut my barrel to 16 1/2 and I like it just fine. If you put a brake back on it will extend the barrel back an inch or so. You're only talking about 1 inch from a looks standpoint.

·
Banned
7,374 Posts
I think gundoc cuts them back to 17" as a rule (-1.5"). That leaves you enought meat to clean it up if you make a bad(uneven) cut. The feds require at least 16" or you have to buy an SBR stamp (and alot of the liberal states won't let you do this).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I suppose I could find something like an M14 type front sight block and have it installed. Then when the barrel was cut, it could also be turned true on the washer side.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.