Perfect Union banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a Sparta stock used at the great price of $75. I didn't like the added weight of the aluminum top rail. I also had doubts about the rail holding zero after cleaning the weapon. So I chopped off the rail and went with a Weigand rail for my Leupold Prismatic scope. I added the Ruger metal forend liner and retained the endcap by using a dremel tool and 3M plastic epoxy to seat the forend liner into the stock without the liner adding any forces to the gas block.
There is a paper thin gap between the lip of the Sparta stock and the edge of the gas block. The forend liner seats up against the gas block as designed.
I did this by pushing the liner forward into the gas block from the magazine well while the resin dried. This way the forend liner and gas block function as designed and the Sparta stock does not come in contact with the gas block.
I trimmed down the area of the upper handguards on each side to fit into place a Fulton Armory ventilated upper handguard. Doing all this removed a got bit of weight from the Sparta stock. I added side panels to the forend of the stock using screws and 3M epoxy. I was going to add a Mo-Reaper but decided to convert the Mo-Reaper into a heatsink instead. The Mo-Reaper is not attached to the gas block and does not touch the gas block. I used JB Weld in the Mo-Reaper installation. I added a brass tube to the Mo-Reaper to help dissipate heat. No worries now about grabbing a hot barrel should I have a dumbass incident. I added a single point quick detachable tactical sling with shoulder pad. I had a trigger job done to 4 lbs. approx. I added the tatical magazine release which is a fantastic improvement for any Mini-14. Much faster mag changes and damn near as fast as any M4 carbine. The Prismatic scope is a fixed 1X power scope with a 30mm lens/tube. The crosshairs are etched onto the lens. The center fine reticle is illuminated and has 8 or 10 settings (can't remember as I write). I don't care what folks say about this scope. It's a damn fine scope. I have fired 600+ rounds with this scope installed on the infamous scope busting Mini-14 and it keeps on working. The great thing about the lens is that you can adjust and set the focus which is perfect for my older USMC retired Mark I eyeballs. Once you set it and have a clear picture you are done since it's a fixed 1X power. It's really fast on target and clear. It has very clear defiined crosshairs and if you loose the light you push a button and the fine center crosshairs light up. From super dim for the dark of night to bright red during full daylight. If the battery dies you still have the black crosshairs. Enough about the scope.
On the stock where the receiver fits I added brass strips to shim in more tightness when installing the trigger group. I got lucky and have a really tight fitting weapon with no side-to-side play of the receiver in the stock. I used epoxy to affix the brass strips. One on either side at the top. I added a Houge rubber pistol grip the the Sparta stock. I added a rail under the forend to use a bipod for range shooting and or a M3X light.
Like I said I've shot 600+ rounds with this set-up and the weapon holds a respectable 2 1/2" group at 100 yards using USGI green tip ammo (the real combat stuff not floor rejects). Using Federal Fusion 62 grain it shoots 1 3/4" group at 100 yards. I've shot a full thirty round magazine about one round per second and got the weapon cooking off the Breakfree. Shot it a week later and the groupings repeated. No loss of zero. I do clean my weapons after every use. The Mo-Reaper used as a heatsink really sucks the excess heat off the barrel. The Weigand scope base and Prismaic scope are a good set-up for a Mini-14 Tactical. Other than throwing the weapon down or doing some cable TV torture test this weapon has performed flawlessly with pretty darn good accuracy. My experience with other quality combat weapons has me rate this as a 100 to 150 yard weapon. For me my only future targets now will be Zombies so I don't need an M4 and prefer the Mini-14 over an M4 anyway at least out to 150 yards. I'm a Mini-14 lover. I know my weapons. I even own a 1976 Mini-14 Liberty Gun. The 581 series is a fine weapon and I rate reliabilty way over accuracy (150 yards and out go with an M4). A longer barrel and maginified scope and a Mini-14 can compete out much further. But the 1X scope I'm using limits the weapons effective accurate range. I have a keeper with this one. I dare anyone to try and take it away from me. Ever!

Sgt Maj
USMC Ret.

Attachments

·
Registered
397 Posts
Nice setup and great job reviewing it. Thank You for your service!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Man reading I thought it was going to be a chopped up mess.

Nicely done!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got the right tools and I'm a bit of a shade tree armorer. I'm going to attach some range targets once I get it back out for some accuracy testing. The stock is pretty easy to cut on and well designed. 3M epoxy is the bomb. The stock takes screws very well. For me the stock aluminum rail was a deal buster but since I only paid $75 for the Sparta it was more of experiment that turned out well. The Sparta stock without the aluminum rail is petty stout and the Ruger forend liner helps stiffen up the stock.
I'm really pleased with my one of a kind modified Sparta stock.

·
Shall Not be Infringed!
46 Posts
The Sparta is a sharp looking stock, thanks for sharing the pics. I use a Tapco, been a fan of them since I put one on my 10/22, and I really love having extra options to accessorize.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts