Perfect Union banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Spare Trigger Group Review

Hi everyone;

Just got some spare parts in for my M1A's, in this case a trigger group from keepshooting.com Looks good so far. Dropped right in, locks up tight, and dry cycles fine; passes all safety tests. Workmanship is on par with the group that's on the standard SAI M1A for what its worth.

For $130 + shipping, looks to me like a good way to put some parts in your kit bag. Right now my parts inventory is firing pin, extractor, ejector, set of springs (including several magazine springs) and now a trigger group as a drop in spare. Next up will probably be some parts for the gas system and a synthetic stock for field use. Love the walnut but don't want to ding it up too badly.

Also just got a pair of 20 bangers from Midwayusa. Apparently Checkmate has changed their finish or tooling a little since these are lighter in color than the ones I've gotten directly from checkmate in the past. My guess is that it means they're cranken' 'em out faster and the finish is thinner. No problem though - glad to pump up my mag reserves any chance I get.

Haven't had a chance to get 'em to the range to try 'em out yet though.

Hope this is useful to someone.
All the best,
Grumpy

·
Registered
302 Posts
Damn Grumpy! I wish I knew you were looking for spare parts.. I just sold my Socom 16 recently with 14 20 round CMI mags, a spare bolt, and an EMR 2 stage trigger group.. I didn't really gain anything much extra for the parts so I would rather have given them to someone who would have appreciated them.

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn Grumpy! I wish I knew you were looking for spare parts.. I just sold my Socom 16 recently with 14 20 round CMI mags, a spare bolt, and an EMR 2 stage trigger group.. I didn't really gain anything much extra for the parts so I would rather have given them to someone who would have appreciated them.
Hi usmc0341;

The thought's appreciated anyway.

Obviously you got rid of the Socom 16 for some reason, but was it an okay shooter? I've thought of one to go with my standard M1A as a close/intermediate range carbine that would be logistic with my other .308's - when prices go down and my wallet's not so thin.

Assuming medical expenses from obozocare haven't eaten me alive by then, LOL!

All the best,
Grumpy

·
Registered
302 Posts
I really liked the gun, but, I had a few reasons that I got rid of it.
1. I decided to consolidate to one platform for now and that is going to be the M16 series. (My personal view is that I know the M16 series inside and out, if I wake up to a bump in the night, I want to be grabbing a Rifle that I can shoot, reload, clear stoppages, ect all without ever taking my eyes off the threat. I will never know another weapons system as well as the M16 platform I think).
2. It had an atrocious muzzle blast and I wish that I had bought the scout instead. 2" of barrel makes ALOT of difference... (thats what she said I KNOW I KNOW!)
3. It wasn't as accurate as my LMT M4 out to 500m.. It provided a lot more punch but was lacking in the accuracy department. Think 3-4+ MOA depending on ammo. It really liked Federal Gold Match 168 Gr though. 1-2 MOA.
4. I won't bitch about the weight because honestly it was on par with my new DMR build.
5. I really didn't like the sighting options on it either. I mounted a Burris Scout scope on it in Weaver rings but the problem with that was that it upset the balance of the ifle and you had to use "chin weld" vice "cheak weld"
6. If I had kept it I would have replaced the tritium front sight with a National Match because the Irons were nowhere near as precise as I like.

Overall in its stock form with the upgraded trigger group it was very nice, pointed naturally, and generally inspired confidence, however, I don't have the time to spend to familiarize myself with it to the level that I am familiar with the M16 platform.. I would strongly recommend the Scout over the Socom for sure.

At the end o the day I kept comparing it to the M14 EMR's that my unit had until recently and it was sadly lacking. Granted it was 6-8" shorter but I really liked the fullsized version better.
Plus I found it hard to turn down $3725 for it... :D

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really liked the gun, but, I had a few reasons that I got rid of it.
1. I decided to consolidate to one platform for now and that is going to be the M16 series. (My personal view is that I know the M16 series inside and out, if I wake up to a bump in the night, I want to be grabbing a Rifle that I can shoot, reload, clear stoppages, ect all without ever taking my eyes off the threat. I will never know another weapons system as well as the M16 platform I think).
2. It had an atrocious muzzle blast and I wish that I had bought the scout instead. 2" of barrel makes ALOT of difference... (thats what she said I KNOW I KNOW!)
3. It wasn't as accurate as my LMT M4 out to 500m.. It provided a lot more punch but was lacking in the accuracy department. Think 3-4+ MOA depending on ammo. It really liked Federal Gold Match 168 Gr though. 1-2 MOA.
4. I won't bitch about the weight because honestly it was on par with my new DMR build.
5. I really didn't like the sighting options on it either. I mounted a Burris Scout scope on it in Weaver rings but the problem with that was that it upset the balance of the ifle and you had to use "chin weld" vice "cheak weld"
6. If I had kept it I would have replaced the tritium front sight with a National Match because the Irons were nowhere near as precise as I like.

Overall in its stock form with the upgraded trigger group it was very nice, pointed naturally, and generally inspired confidence, however, I don't have the time to spend to familiarize myself with it to the level that I am familiar with the M16 platform.. I would strongly recommend the Scout over the Socom for sure.

At the end o the day I kept comparing it to the M14 EMR's that my unit had until recently and it was sadly lacking. Granted it was 6-8" shorter but I really liked the fullsized version better.
Plus I found it hard to turn down $3725 for it... :D
Thanks for the comprehensive review and writeup!

$3725 - Dang' you made out like a bandit on that one!!

I can see the idea of consolidating around a common caliber/system, but I'd really be torn on that one. I like having a collection and have already sold too many guns it will be hard (impossible) to replace. Still regretting a darn' near mint pre WW2 Colt SAA 1873 .45 I sold more than 20 years ago to pay the rent and groceries when I was out of work. A bit fearful that could happen again in this economy and not sure which direction I would consolidate.

Sounds like a Scout is something I'll be really interested in when (if) the prices drop back to something like normal (and if my job is still stable). Hopefully this is just a passing phase that if I'm still around in 20 years will just be something I'm nagging the new guys about prepping for, lest it happen again. You don't know how much I wish I would have had 20-30k of .22LR on hand!

Thanks again for all the information,
Grumpy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.