Perfect Union banner

Spare bolt ?

3K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Goony 
#1 ·
I have searched the forum with no luck , but where can I get a spare bolt ( Complete) for my mini 14 rifle ?

#4 ·
DO NOT purchase a bolt from Numrich unless you're a qualified gunsmith or plan to take it to one. These rifles aren't like ARs, where you can just throw in another BCG and fire away. The bolt MUST be properly headspaced to prevent catastrophic failure.

In the event you do this yourself and something bad happens, Ruger will not back you up.

If you want a new bolt, your best bet is to send it to Ruger without the bolt and tell them you lost it. They'll charge you for it, but it's better than missing fingers.

#7 ·
DO NOT purchase a bolt from Numrich unless you're a qualified gunsmith or plan to take it to one. These rifles aren't like ARs, where you can just throw in another BCG and fire away. The bolt MUST be properly headspaced to prevent catastrophic failure.

In the event you do this yourself and something bad happens, Ruger will not back you up.

If you want a new bolt, your best bet is to send it to Ruger without the bolt and tell them you lost it. They'll charge you for it, but it's better than missing fingers.
No need to make up a story! Just send in the mini and ask them to fit you a new bolt assembly. They will contact you with a preapproval list of cost's for parts and labor. If you are in agreement, they will proceed with the work and send the mini back to you (When the charge or check clears). Good luck.

#8 ·
I talked to Ruger a few weeks ago about having a Bolt / FP installed. CS said they would do it but weremt taking in any Elective work till March. You might want to contact them if you go this route. YMMV

#10 ·
Except that Ruger has a proprietary head space gauge and the Mini14 has a 5.56mm chamber. Only the target model is a dedicated .223 chamber. Also the bolt must come from the proper series range as differences in the firing pin tail angle and the receiver cross bridge have seen changes over the years. Even if it all comes together and you find the right used bolt, manage to head space it, and install it you may still have to adjust the firing pin protrusion. I'm willing to bet everyone with an older Mini can drop a field gauge in their mini and have the bolt lock up easily. To be honest I haven't tried it on a 582 series yet.

I'm not saying this can't be done at home, but it's not as simple as it sounds unless you have the right tools and skills. Since used bolts come from parts guns make sure you understand how to inspect a bolt and what damage looks like from water, fire, cracks, etc. There's a reason the parent rifle was parted out and you hope the bolt wasn't the reason. When I sell parts to Numrich I make sure they're good parts, but others aren't so scrupulous, and still others just toss whatever they have in a box and wait to see what the offer is for the whole lot. I've never bought a bad part from Numrich, but I've bought some that were questionable.

#14 ·
I have a small set of extra parts just in case for whatever reason they be come unavailable. I will probably add a few more down the road, and yes, I think I am gonna get a spare bolt too. I have a set of bolt guts all ruger except the aftermarket firing pin. Also got 10 wolf 20rd mag springs, and 5 extra followers. I am going to have all of my ruger mags nitrided/melonited as well. They just rust to easy even when treated, are to shiny for my taste, and the treatment makes them look better, function smoother, resist corrosion, and makes them unique so there is no doubt that they are mine. I am going to just send 2 to start with just to make sure all is good, then I will have them all done if no problem. I am thinking about having a few of my m-14 mags done as well, and maybe even some mk 3 mags too. Just depends on price. I was quoted $10 a mag, but I think they will do a larger batch a little cheaper. I hope so anyway.

#16 ·
The bolts don't fail, its the parts on the bolts or in that fail. If you are out shooting somewhere, its not the best place in the world to change parts out on a Ruger bolt. There's lots of small parts that can be lost if you disassemble in the field. (I won't do it, you can easily lose stuff). I simply swap bolts and fix the other bolt when I get home. On my Ruger bolts (AC-556), I have two small springs, a plunger, extractor piston, extractor, and a firing pin. Not that its hard to change any of these, but I'd rather do it on my bench at home.

#17 ·
That makes sense. I did not think they failed much, just wondered why so many wanted an extra bolt. Now I know. Thank you. Yea, I have several small parts on hand for my favorite 3 rifles... M-14, Mini-14, and 10/22. It just makes things easier and help when trouble-shooting too.

#18 ·
maybe I read too much, but just curious Dacotua, how many AC's do you have??? and please tell me you haven't posted anything on YouTube, I watched one vid., where the guy ripped off 3 or 4 30rd. mags one after the other, and considered it "abuse"... err, maybe i'm jealous.... not sure.

#19 ·
I've Just have one with a ton of spare parts for it.

I dont have a youtube video of it shooting publically.

Honestly after two 30rd mags I let the gun cool like 45 minutes before shooting it again. Its very hot after 60 rounds and the front sight is a branding iron (gas block sight)

#20 ·
yes, I'm sure it's plenty hot. I've never seen one "live and in person", in 3 rd. do you know if it will only fire 2, or is it the the luck of the draw, as to where the (?) not sure what you call it..... "ratchet" is. As to whether it shots 1.... or 2.... or all 3. ??

btw, thanks for not abusing into a melt down....hahaha.

#21 ·
3 round burst is a ratchet system. It could fire 1, 2 or 3 rounds the first time you pull the trigger. Depends on where it is at the time. Once it "resets", it will always fire 3rds so long as you hold the trigger.

I generally don't use 3 round burst. I just put it on full auto and use trigger control to do bursts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.