Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The SVD as a sniper weapon in the NATO tradition, leaves much to be desired. I'd love to hear from folks in "the know" regarding the designated marksman concept... this is sort-of the way the Eastern Block countries use thier snipers...how did it work in Afganistan and Chechnia?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Honestly I'm not in the know regarding the designated marksman concept for the US and allies. but in WWII the soviets used the SVD as range increase for general troop movements. They did have true sniper teams just like we did (1 or 2 man teams) but they felt that having someone(s) in a large platoon with the ability to reach targets approx 600m away would increase survivability for those groups.

At least thats the way I understand it, with out knowing much/anything about the DM concept I'd guess this is more of and apples vs oranges issues....

just my 2cents.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Originally posted by @May 18 2000, 03:23 PM
The SVD as a sniper weapon in the NATO tradition, leaves much to be desired. I'd love to hear from folks in "the know" regarding the designated marksman concept... this is sort-of the way the Eastern Block countries use thier snipers...how did it work in Afganistan and Chechnia?
The SVD is in fact a designated marksman's rifle for infantry squads. The Soviets did use sniper teams as well, but I believe had still been relying on the aging Mosin Nagant bolt action rifles for this role - same one used in WWII!

I have not heard reports in re the use of the SVD in the Balkans conflict. I do know that export versions of that gun have been a major headache to our troops in Iraq as the insurgents seem to have an ample supply of them.

·
Registered
259 Posts
When I was deployed to Iraq in 2003-2004 we ran across many SVD variants and knockoffs. Iraq even produced some of these themselves. Some of the enemy knew very well how to employ them but some did not and simply used them as an AK with some range. Either way its a great weapon respected by both sides. :sniper:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts