Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've fired rifles with the AK-74 muzzle brake and would like to replace the A-2 type flash hider on a Tactical 5.56 Mini-14 with the .223 cal AK-74 style that I can screw on. The 580 series Mini has 28 threads per inch. I'm assuming that means 1/2X28 thread pitch. Where can I get one.
If the AK-74 isn't available is there a good dual type brake/flash suppressor that fits the Tac? I'm thinking of one with two rows of (2 or 3) round holes in the top and an A-2 type end.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hellgate,

A true AK 74 muzzle brake has Muzzle Attatchments :: Arsenal Inc. US Made Compensator for AK-74 (5.45x39 and 5.56x45 calibers) AK-141US - AK-Builder.com a 24mm x 1.5 right hand thread pitch. An AK74"style" muzzle brake muzzle brake TAPCO AK-74 Style Muzzle Brake M14x1.0 LH Thread AK-47 AK-74 Steel has a 14mm x 1.0 thread pitch and a 7.62 size hole.. You can get a 14mm LH to 24mm RH adapter 14-1LH to 24mm Thread Adapter. An AK has a spring loaded detent pin on the front sigh base that keeps the muzzle device in place. I suppose you could use a peel or crush washer to time one but that I have never seen a 1/2-28 RH to 14mm LH adapter. There was a fella (the name escapes me at the moment)on the forum that mounted an M14 FSB and an Hungarian AMD 65 "snake" brake, but he had his Mini's barrel threaded to 14mm LH x 1.0. Hope this helps.

Smiling Bob :D

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Then what kind of AK-74 brake was it that just screwed right onto my buddy's AR after he just removed the A-2 flash hider? It had a crush washer to adjust the fit. Are AR muzzle threads not 1/2X28?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Bob,
You nailed it. Now the search begins. Thanks!!

·
Registered
546 Posts
I've fired rifles with the AK-74 muzzle brake and would like to replace the A-2 type flash hider on a Tactical 5.56 Mini-14 with the .223 cal AK-74 style that I can screw on. The 580 series Mini has 28 threads per inch. I'm assuming that means 1/2X28 thread pitch. Where can I get one.
If the AK-74 isn't available is there a good dual type brake/flash suppressor that fits the Tac? I'm thinking of one with two rows of (2 or 3) round holes in the top and an A-2 type end.
Like the one on the left end of my pic?
It's a noisy beastie - IIRC RRA makes or made these (edited to add 1/2x28 - these were made for ARs):

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SSM,
Yes, the one on the left except there were 2 or 3 holes in the top to direct the gases upward to push the muzzle down.
I like the looks of the #4 brake. About the size of the A-2, not too bulky. What is that one called?
Great pics BTW. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Brake #4 is the Smith Enterprises Inc, "Good Iron" Muzzle Brake.

I have one on my Mini Tactical and love it. Recoil is nil and follow up shots are VERY fast. The actual one for the mini is slightly different, coming with a lock ring, instead of the crush type shown in SSM's image.

Before video:
Mini-14 Magazine Release - YouTube

After Video:
Mini-14 with SEI Muzzle Brake - YouTube

·
Registered
546 Posts
Brake #4 is the Smith Enterprises Inc, "Good Iron" Muzzle Brake.

I have one on my Mini Tactical and love it. Recoil is nil and follow up shots are VERY fast. The actual one for the mini is slightly different, coming with a lock ring, instead of the crush type shown in SSM's image.

Before video:
Mini-14 Magazine Release - YouTube

After Video:
Mini-14 with SEI Muzzle Brake - YouTube
Yep - that's the one but 45K20E4's is a later model. I have it on a LW AR upper on a yellow Cav Arms lower. The SE brake is very good - exactly as 45K20E4 says.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
45K20E4,
Nice videos. Big difference. Are both brakes (AK-74 vs "Good Iron") about the same as for loudness?

·
hostilenativelibertarian.
7,825 Posts
;)The one for ak-74s that fits on a 1/2x28tpi ar muzzle is not an original design of an ak-74 brake!No top ports to prevent muzzle rise,and angled holes near muzzle area are eliminated on some(makes manufacturing cheaper)they still keep the recoil down,and the operator gets as much muzzle blast as th guy standing in front of the muzzle!Very loud!I put one on an ar-back when I had guns,and I thought it was more of an amplifier!:blink:

·
Registered
546 Posts
;)The one for ak-74s that fits on a 1/2x28tpi ar muzzle is not an original design of an ak-74 brake!No top ports to prevent muzzle rise,and angled holes near muzzle area are eliminated on some(makes manufacturing cheaper)they still keep the recoil down,and the operator gets as much muzzle blast as th guy standing in front of the muzzle!Very loud!I put one on an ar-back when I had guns,and I thought it was more of an amplifier!:blink:
+1 :eek:

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have the Smith brake on a 14 and 30. I think they are as good as it gets with recoil and muzzle rise.

If you get the 74 brake there are ones with the expansion chamber and the fake cheaper ones without. I think there is a difference in performance in the 2.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hellgate,
I'm pretty sure I've got one of those Bushmaster AK47 brakes. Bought it almost twenty years ago and never used it. It'll be a couple days before I can look for it though.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mr Zombie,
I am unable to send you a PM. I appreciate you're checking on the brake. Hopefully it is 1/2X28 threads.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hellgate,

I found the item in question, still in original packaging including instructions and peel/crush washer. I have every reason to believe it is 1/2x28 as I bought it for an AR, just never got around to putting it on. The 2011 Bushmaster catalogue describes it as 1/2x28. As soon as I can PM you, I will.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts