Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here and new to mini 14s. I found a used tactical 20CF model with a factory 20 round mag for sale today and put it on layaway. It's a 851 that appears to be in really good shape however it doesn't have a muzzle brake.

Is there a particular brand or size of muzzle brake I should look for to put one on?

Any one know some place that has mags in stock that'll work?

Anyone use a angled forward grip from magpul on the factory botton rail?

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Welcome to the PU!

Youre lucky to find one with all the junk thats going on. The serial #581 means its a relatively new production rifle. Since '08, they have retooled their factory and made many improvements to the rifle like a thicker barrel, tighter machining tolerances, built in scope mounts, etc.

The tactical model comes from the factory with a flash hider attached by 1/2x28 threads. So if the one you put on layaway doesnt come with one, any one that has that thread type will work. It is the same threads that the AR15 rifles use,so there are plenty of options.

Look through the picture thread here, many hundreds of great Mini 14/30 examples. Good luck with magazines man, if you find one anywhere, scoop it up! It should come with one when you recieve it!even if it is used.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help.
I got lucky running across this one. Was out looking at ARs at a gun show, gun shops, etc. The prices are just insane now if you can find one. The best deal I ran across was $1500 for a new Mossberg MMR tactical.
Found this mini at a gun/pawn shop for $750. Yeah I know the price is jacked up, it is on everything right now. Like I said, I know nothing about mini 14. All I know is I liked the looks, liked the feel and it was more in my price range. Didn't realize what it was till I got home and researched the S/N.

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
Thanks for the help.
I got lucky running across this one. Was out looking at ARs at a gun show, gun shops, etc. The prices are just insane now if you can find one. The best deal I ran across was $1500 for a new Mossberg MMR tactical.
Found this mini at a gun/pawn shop for $750. Yeah I know the price is jacked up, it is on everything right now. Like I said, I know nothing about mini 14. All I know is I liked the looks, liked the feel and it was more in my price range. Didn't realize what it was till I got home and researched the S/N.
Actually that's not a bad price at all for a 581 tactical with mag. I have seen WASR AK's going for $900 these days - or higher.

I would call Ruger and see what they will do for you on a replacement flash hider, unless you're in a rights restricted state like Kali where you're going to need a true muzzle brake (check with Calguns for advice on what is regarded as legal this week in Kali). The factory stock unit does a good job, is reasonably durable, and looks "right" on the piece. Particularly for something that could be a collector's item if the wrong legislation passes.

All the best,
Grumpy

·
Registered
167 Posts
I would opt for just replacing the stock factory flash hider( odd the previous owner removed it!). Check with Ruger for the replacement. I have heard of just too many problems with aftermarket varieties. All a flash hider or brake do is really just add weight and stabilize the barrel a little more. I have a tactical with circassion walnut stock and the factory flash hider is just fine. No inclination to remove it.

Also download a manual if you can. Best familiarize yourself with how to strip it down for cleaning and re-assembly. Things like putting the guide rod in upsidedown render it inoperable and many have made that error. Never attempt to disassemble without the trigger assembly cocked.

Finally, as far as magazines go, just get on the waiting list at Ruger. Factory mags are best.

·
Registered
663 Posts
+1

I'd spend at least $30-50 bottom line for a muzzle device of any sort to be sure to get something that will last.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Fortunately I live in Texas so I'm GTG with any mods

Actually that's not a bad price at all for a 581 tactical with mag. I have seen WASR AK's going for $900 these days - or higher.
In my area the AK are starting around $1100, Chinese SKS around $500, eastern bloc SKS around $800. I ran into a guy selling a Russian SKS paratrooper at the show yesterday, asking $1000.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
The ATI stocks bottom rail is standard so any magpul grips will fit.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Never heard of a Russian SKS "Paratrooper". I think somebody was trying to pull a fast one on unaware buyers. It was either a Chinese Norinco or a hatchet job. Given the current state of affairs, I would be careful out there in the market place.

Frankly, I would not buy anything right now at inflated prices. Better to wait and see how things wash out. If you must buy search out those that are not trying to take advantage of fellow firearms owners. i believe in the free market, but not in price gouging.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Called Ruger this morning. Was able to verify the mini I'm purchasing is a factory tactical that she said shows an '09 manufacturing date.

As far as the muzzle brake, lady said that since it came from the factory with one if I ship it to Ruger they can put one on for me. Said they have none in stock and can't tell me the thread pattern by just the S/N. Once they receive it they can determine the thread pattern, order the appropriate muzzle brake (flash suppressor according to the manual) from an aftermarket vendor, install it and ship it back. She never mentioned a charge and absent minded me never asked.

Nothing against Ruger, I've loved every gun manufactured from them I've owned, but seems like just getting one aftermarket and doing myself would be easier?
However, while its there the may look it over and fix some things I don't see since I'm new to minis?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, made a second call to Ruger. This time I got a man on the phone that sounded more knowledgeable. (No offense to any ladies out there)

He said yes they are out of muzzle brakes and sending it to em to have one put on is "ridiculous". Said their not going to do anything but screw one on and ship it back. And right now its a long turn around.

He checked with repair to verify and said that '10 and later used the 28 thread pattern but since mine showed a '09 manufacturing date mine used the 24 thread pattern.

Told me find one I like, put it on and "enjoy".

·
Registered
298 Posts
Ok, made a second call to Ruger. This time I got a man on the phone that sounded more knowledgeable. (No offense to any ladies out there)

He said yes they are out of muzzle brakes and sending it to em to have one put on is "ridiculous". Said their not going to do anything but screw one on and ship it back. And right now its a long turn around.

He checked with repair to verify and said that '10 and later used the 28 thread pattern but since mine showed a '09 manufacturing date mine used the 24 thread pattern.

Told me find one I like, put it on and "enjoy".
Lots out there for hiders and breaks that are better then the factory Ruger hider. Dong a Google search will bring up all kinds. Only draw back right now. Most everything is backorder. So there may be some wait time. There is wait time for in stock items even, ugh...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.