Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a 1st year production (1956) Remington model 58 Sportsman 12 gauge Semi-auto. My Father-in-law picked it up at a yard sale for $40. It has rust freckles and very minor pitting. The walnut was in pretty good shape, so I left it alone and concentrated on restoring the blued surfaces, while adding some jeweling to the bolt and nitre bluing the trigger pins and bolt handle.

Here are the before and after shots:

To see the whole story see my blogs posts:

TINCANBANDIT's Gunsmithing: Another Shotgun Project: Remington Model 58 Sportsman part 1

TINCANBANDIT's Gunsmithing: Another Shotgun Project: Remington Model 58 Sportsman part 2

·
Registered
153 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This Marlin Camp 9 just needed a quick polish and reblue

same with this old Winchester single shot

This little Colt Police Positive 22 needed some work before rebluing....it is difficult to maintain roll marks on old Colts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bought this Ruger Super Blackhawk at a gun show, it had worn bluing....I couldn't resist giving it a high polish blue job

of course the frame turned a plum color a few months after it was blued....still looks purty though

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
The metal work is fantastic. Is there any way the original wood patina on some of the rifles could have been preserved in that rich dark color?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The metal work is fantastic. Is there any way the original wood patina on some of the rifles could have been preserved in that rich dark color?
which ones are you referring to? The Winchester 1906 had a stock made of gum wood, possibly the worst material for a gun stock, the High Standards stock was broken and the Arisakas stock looks light years better than it did when I started (IMO of course.;) )

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
Outstanding work my Armed brother ! Keep up the good work!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts