Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
They make sense.. however, you have a council to hold the people responsible.. We can't even get our Federal courts to uphold the nations laws much less something relatively small like a firearm loan.

·
M.I.A.
1,474 Posts
My wife's grandfather was telling me that they have a difficult time obtaining certain firearms within the confines of their reservation. But part of that has to do with the fact that it crosses multiple states. Last summer I was fixing his 270 and he was explaining it to me, but I probably didn't fully understand him since he speaks virtually no English, and I don't speak very much of his language. He told me this when i showed him my 357 Ruger and he said handguns were one of the most difficult firearms to obtain.
Does your reservation live within the confines of one state?

·
Registered
209 Posts
No my Reservation does not cross any State lines so it's not an issue, but I could see his point, my Tribe is also a federally recongnized tribe so even if our Rez did over lap state lines but within our land it wouldn't be a problem as we are a Sovereign Nation.

Some Tribes are still not recognized by the US government :blink::eek::angry:
Then will the gun control laws affect you on the Reservation?

·
Registered
927 Posts
I met a young guy a year ago at the Big Sandy MGShoot. He was a guest of a land-owners son. He bought a .30/.30 lever gun, and was so thrilled to be replacing his old rifle with it. He said that back on his Rez, he was the main provider of game meat for his group. His Rez is on the Cali/Oregon border. He showed me his Rez hunting license, and it was quite interesting if authentic (I have NO reason to doubt it).

It granted him exclusive rights to harvest game from what seemed like a LARGE number of square miles. It allowed him to take ALL species, including Bald Eagle. There also apparently was NO limit to the ammount or frequency of the harvest. He said that he would harvest large game on a weekly basis when he was on the Rez.

Does this sound like universal Rez policy, or does each Tribe operate differently?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.