Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Backwoods Mountain Man
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SOme of the guys were asking about my blacksmith work in another thread, so I thought I would post some pictures of different things, as well as some pictures from around home that some of you guys might get a kick out of. I was raised on a small farm in New River, TN on Pilot Mountain. We were raised to be self sufficent and I learned blacksmithing and a lot of other lost and old skills from my dad.

Heres me and him together with a couple bowies I hammered out. THe one in my hand has a 13.5" blade made from 1/4" 1084 steel with burmese rosewood handles. The one in his hand is made from 3/8" thick 5160 truck leaf spring, and hand a 10" blade and oak handle

This is me with the big boy hammer. 24 lb cross pein, used for moving heavy steel stock when working with another person as a striker. One holds the steel, one swings the hammer. I use this when dad can hold steel for me

Sometimes I'll have to move large stock alone, which means holding the tongs in one hand, and swinging a decent hammer in the other. I normally use a 6 or 8 lb short handled sledge for this working one handed

Here are just some different blades I've made. Some are nicer than others as my work progressed

The big bowie

This was a Zombie cleaver I built. 2.5" wide, 3/8" thick, and 28" long

This was a very large fighting bowie I built for myself. Notice the lack of finish work. I carry this one alot

This was a smaller 9.5" bladed bowie I built awhile back

THese are some roughed out blanks before I started doing finish work with smaller hammers and files

I called these the Sandbar Bowies, patterned after the orginal Jim Bowie sandbar fight knives

These are some small bushcraft knives I built

5.5" blade, paracord handle

3.5" blade, paracord handle

Top one was a 13.5" bladed bushsword, oak handle, bottom was 5.5" bladed paracord wrapped

Hot steel glowing fresh from the coals

Purpleheart handled bushcrafter

· Backwoods Mountain Man
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Rosewood handled every day carry knife

A hat and coat rack with coal oil lamp holders made from horseshoes

A coffee cup holder made from steel rod with a horseshoe base

A camp cooking fork

· Backwoods Mountain Man
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And heres some homesteading stuff. We still believe in true horsepower, so I learned to drive drafts early on. Thes ewere taken last fall when we were digging taters

This is gathering in some firewood we bucked and split with my cousins mules

And just for fun, I caught some dinner for the night when we were throwing hay last summer. Rattle snake is good eating

· Backwoods Mountain Man
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well hopefully those of you who wanted to see some things can, and I hope I didn't bore the rest of y'all to bad.

· Registered
2,681 Posts
Awesome .. makes me pine for my old farm in the Blue Ridge of VA...

Excellent work Sir !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.