Perfect Union banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This awesome (I am not in any way affiliated with Sturm, Ruger & Company):

I recently stumbled upon a Ruger P85 that was manufactured more than two decades ago. It looks practically brand new, of course, but the serial number places it as having been made in 1990. The P85 was the first of Ruger's P-series, having been designed in 1985, and having been introduced in 1987.

In reading up on the P85 (I have nearly the entire P-series and they are among my favorite handguns for their superb quality of engineering and reliability), I discovered that Ruger recalled and repaired many early P85's due to a flaw in the de-cocker that might cause a BROKEN pin to accidentally fire during de-cocking. These were replaced. Since I did not see the appropriate marking of the replacement de-cocker, I called Ruger, and was informed that indeed my pistol DOES need to be sent back for repair, and that they would send me a package, including a pre-paid box in which to return the gun to them for repair.

The firearms industry is competitive, and customer service in general is well above average for this industry across the board. But one of the factors (aside from outstandingly reliable and well designed firearms) that has launched Ruger to the forefront of the arms industry in this country has been their customer service. When they say "Lifetime Warranty", Ruger means "LIFETIME WARRANTY". Period.

When this pistol was manufactured, Ruger was still regarded by most as a "second tier" firearms manufacturer behind such as Smith & Wesson, Colt, and so forth. No more. Ruger has proven itself and taken its place among the big boys by offering VALUE. Not cheap guns, but real VALUE, a lifetime warranty that you can take to the bank, and the best possible customer service. From .22LR to .308 Win, I have more Rugers than any other single brand of firearm. It all began with a P89 that impressed me and won me over. And my ONLY disappointment in Ruger was the fact that the Mini-30 is finicky about ammo. But it's still a terrific carbine if you feed it right.

Thanks, Ruger!!!

·
CantRe Member
628 Posts
That's good to hear....

I have several Ruger weapons both rifle and handgun, never had an issue with any of them. From single action to semi-auto to bolt, all good shooters.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
That being a very serious flaw in design I would think they should and did jump all over it. They have probably been wondering where that gun plus a few more have been and sweating no accidents happen while they have fallen in a crack somewhere.

·
Scout
100 Posts
Glad to hear you had good luck. Just the fact its a Ruger tells me that you won't have to keep that phone number on speed dial....

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm a Ruger guy, never had a problem with any of mine. I'm thinking about sending my 1959 Blackhawk 357 Flat Top in and having the transfer bar system put in so I can carry 6 beans in the wheel. They'll do it for free and return the original parts with the gun.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad to hear you had good luck. Just the fact its a Ruger tells me that you won't have to keep that phone number on speed dial....
It's true. You hardly ever NEED their customer service. But when you DO, it's there, it's friendly, it's reliable, and it's quick.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts