Perfect Union banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
from CDNN today and I actually cut myself on the sharp edges, the feed lips are like razors.. The rear spine where they are tac welded is buckled, they basically look like crap. They probably function fine after I sand down the sharp edges but cmon Ruger, I've had USA mags that look better.

My five Ruger 30's are nice and smooth and look and function great.

Is this the norm now?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Top mag is one of my 30's I bought about 2010, bottom is the 20 that came with my 582 series last year. They are all smooth finish and all edges are smoothed out but the 20 does have some buckling.

These new one's seem like an entire production step was missed.

And I generally don't wine about cosmetics.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have no problem smoothing out rough finish but it"s not my responsibility. These are down right sharp and will cut you. I do construction so my hands aren't Polmolive smooth.

I remove some finish and they are rusting.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I bought some Ruger 20 rds a couple of years ago, and they look nothing like that, the seams are as smooth as a babies behind with no sharp edges anywhere and the stamping of Ruger is more pronouced in the metal, both on the side and on the base plate. Are you sure these are Factory mags? The stamping seems to be on the wrong side compared to all the Ruger mags I have.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ruger on the side and bottom. Like I said earlier my 30's are fine. I tried using a barrel sander on them and they're still sharp. They are going back to Ruger, I won't accept this crap.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I bought "Ruger" mags from CDNN and they were terrible. They took them back in exchange for "real Ruger" mags and they have been flawless. Were your's stamped Ruger on the base plate?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ruger on the side and baseplate. My letter in a nutshell:

On 6/1/2013 I purchased 3 Ruger twenty round magazines for my Mini-14 Rifle from CDNN. Upon receiving my magazines I noticed the backstrap where the tac welds are was buckled. Also the feedlips, front and back seams and bottom tabs were extremely sharp. So sharp I literally sliced my thumb loading them. This is unacceptable. I contacted CDNN and they also have received complaints on this issue.
I tried sanding the sharp edges but they are still sharp and now the finish is removed and they will probably rust prematurely.
My older twenty and thirty round magazines do not exhibit any of these issues. I have been a loyal Ruger customer for over twenty five years and would like these replaced with magazines that show the usual Ruger quality control.

Had them in five days.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Did you send them back to Ruger before they sent you new ones? I called them yesterday and was bounced around to at least three places....tech support, then Arizona, then sales and then back to tech support. I was told to send them in and write a letter, but that they could not send me replacements mags because of the Kolorado magazine ban.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I 'bit the bullet' and purchased 6 of the Ruger factory 20 rd. Mini-30 mags right after they were released. IIRC, I got them from CDNN at about $29/ea. plus S&H.

They not only are very nicely finished (clean, even weld seam, no excessively sharp edges anywhere, clear, stamped markings) they're the only magazines besides the factory-stock 5 rd. mags that will work 100% reliably in my 189 series Mini. I'd tried three other aftermarket brands before Ruger broke down and started producing "added capacity" mags for the Mini-30s and NONE of them fit into the mag well correctly or would feed ammo reliably.

I've had very little occasion to contact Ruger's CS dept., even though I own a total of 8 different models of theirs. But when I did they invariably were polite, prompt and gracious about addressing the issue(s) to my complete satisfaction.

At a time when many firearms and accessory manufacturers are running three shifts 24/7 just trying to keep up with demand it's understandable, IMO, that some sub-par stuff might inadvertantly get shipped. Stuff happens. I believe that if you give Ruger the chance, they will come through for you.

Just my $0.02.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.