Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a state that only allows no high power rifles during the gun deer seasons . I use mostly a smooth bore 18 inch barrel Mossberg 500 with a Weaver K 1.5 power scope ( this is about 40 years old ) , but plan to use sabots on the upcoming season .

I have the following , a Mossberg 675 bolt action ( just recently purchase and is rifled ), a rifled slug ( Mossberg ) 24 inch barrel for one of my Remington 870s , a rifle barrel or a short smooth barrel with a rifled choke for one of my Remington 1100s .

What would you use or do use and why ?

· Registered
4,076 Posts
I would stick with the rough and tumble Mossberg 500, maybe get the 24 inch slug barrel for it. The durability/versatility of a pump makes it an excellent choice for the Field. The large top mounted safety makes it easier to manipulate while wearing cold weather hand protection. For deer sized game the Old Fashion Foster Type Slug is plenty accurate out to 100 Yards, do you commonly need more available range/distance ability where you Hunt carpshooter?

· Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's what I think

Do you shoot foster slugs through a smooth bore ?

The smooth bore in 12ga fosters is not all that accurate , I know as I own a lot of smooth bore slug guns and 100 yards is pushing it !

I have already purchase sabots ( over 150 rounds ) and want to kill a deer with only a few rounds fired , not like I'm fighting a war with my ten shot 1100 or 9 shot Mossberg 590 spraying the area cause the deer are too far out .

I want to reach out to 150+ yards ! ;)

You'd never guess that I bow hunt deer and shoot them at point blank ranges ! I don't hunt much timber during gun season like I do during archery season . :ph34r:

· Registered
4,076 Posts
Your going to need a 24 inch rifled barrel and High Quality Slugs to consonantly reach 150 yards with repeatable accuracy. JMHO.

"The 12 gauge Core-Lokt Ultra sabot bullet is a .50 caliber, 385 grain HP semi-spitzer. The catalog MV is 1900 fps and the 100 yard velocity is 1648 fps. The ME is given as 3086 ft. lbs. and the remaining energy at 100 yards is 2325 ft. lbs. The trajectory of that load looks like this: +1.8" at 50 yards, +2.4" at 100 yards, and +/- 0" at 150 yards."

"As I wrote at the outset, this are similar to the ballistics obtainable with high performance, .50 caliber, inline muzzleloading rifles. Accuracy is apparently not quite as good as the best muzzleloaders, as Remington claims consistent 2 1/2" 5-shot groups at 100 yards. But that is impressive accuracy from any kind of shotgun--even if it is really a rifle!"

http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_slugs.htm

· Honor our Constitution !
4,700 Posts
Id go the Rem 1100 with rifled barrel. Easier follow up shot, and no potential short stroke issue. Just sayin, since you have the choice.
good idea, BUT may I offer some friendly advice if you don't already do this?

everyone that uses an 1100 for ANY hunting should carry a couple of gas seals (o-rings) in the buttstock under their buttplate, and a phillips screwdriver in a multi tool unit.
these gas seals tend to fail at the worst possible moment and cause FTFs left and right.
when I had my shop, every 1100 that left out w/a new ring, also had a spare in the buttstock that I told the owner about.

good hunting !

· Son of the South
546 Posts
I still use my Winchester Model 120 Ranger 12ga pump.I have the 28" barrel and the 24" rifle sight slug barrel.Use either - Federal® Truball® 12 gauge 2 3/4" 1 oz. Slugs Velocity: 1,600, Muzzle Energy: 2,485 or - Fiocchi Aero 12 gauge Rifled Slug 2-3/4" 1 Ounce Slug 1560 fps.The 24" barrel does make a difference.Plus the rifled slugs in the smooth bore adds the extra punch.IMHO

· Draw, Varmint!
799 Posts
Do you shoot foster slugs through a smooth bore ?

The smooth bore in 12ga fosters is not all that accurate , I know as I own a lot of smooth bore slug guns and 100 yards is pushing it !

I have already purchase sabots ( over 150 rounds ) and want to kill a deer with only a few rounds fired , not like I'm fighting a war with my ten shot 1100 or 9 shot Mossberg 590 spraying the area cause the deer are too far out .

I want to reach out to 150+ yards ! ;)

You'd never guess that I bow hunt deer and shoot them at point blank ranges ! I don't hunt much timber during gun season like I do during archery season .
:) I grew up in, then, rural New Jersey; (with Peter Hathaway Capstick) and I have A LOT of experience using smoothbore 12 gauge shotguns in combination with, both, Foster and Brenneke type slugs.

AT AND BEYOND 50 YARDS THESE TYPES OF SLUGS ARE NOT ALL THAT ACCURATE; AND THIS IS ESPECIALLY TRUE WHENEVER THEY'RE USED IN A PUMP-ACTION SHOTGUN - ESPECIALLY TRUE!

Using my Remington 870 shotgun and a smoothbore (slug) barrel with rifle sights on it, typical accuracy for me at 50 (+) yards never showed less than 4 or 5 inches of dispersion; and at 100 (+) yards all I can say is, 'Fuhgeddaboudit!'*

Because I hate inaccuracy in any long arm I've mulled over the problem of using Foster/Brenneke type shotgun slugs along with pump-action shotguns for many years, now. Here's the primary reason, 'Why' I think this combination so thoroughly stinks:

Pump action shotguns tend to have loose fore-ends; and this means that there is much more of a tendency for the muzzle to move at the moment the shotgun is fired. This is NOT a problem when using shot loads; but it is a problem when using slugs.

Have you ever noticed something that's usually called, 'lock time' in a long arm when it occurs in a shotgun? It can be a genuine damned nuisance! In the milliseconds between: (1) the hammer falling, (2) the firing pin moving forward, and (3) the slug launching and moving down the barrel: A pump-action shotgun's slide action will unlock; and the action will become unstable!

(Translation? Any inherent accuracy that's, otherwise, incumbent to a pump-action shotgun suddenly becomes significantly reduced!)

True, the pump's bolt remains closed; but the slide-action has become unhinged; and, personally, I've always thought that this is the reason, 'Why' my Remington 870 slug patterns used to open up so much.

For accuracy's sake: If I were using Brenneke type slugs (Fosters suck!) then, personally, I'd definitely want to use some sort of bolt-action style shotgun.

If - IF - you want extreme (muzzleloader type) accuracy from a shotgun then you're going to have to move up to using sabot slugs, a rifled shotgun barrel, and a bolt-action shotgun.

In my considerable experience with slugs and slug guns THIS is the only way to wring out superior (rifle like) accuracy from any slug shotgun.

* For the record, and without any false modesty, I am one of the best long-range riflemen in Pennsylvania; and there's plenty of other people, besides me, to say so.

This said: I'd be among the very first shooters to realize something is awry with a gun. If pump-action smoothbores were able to work, and work well, then I would have figured the problem out and started, 'putting them in there' many years ago; BUT, it cannot be done!

The fact is pump-action shotguns, smoothbore barrels, and Foster slugs are one of the worst accuracy-choices any marksman could make. Ideally, a gunman who needs well-placed shots shouldn't rely on this setup at any distance greater than, say, maximum pistol gunfighting range; (15 to 20 yards) and, especially, not when a target is moving.

· Registered
4,076 Posts
Lone Gunman "The fact is pump-action shotguns, smoothbore barrels, and Foster slugs are one of the worst accuracy-choices any marksman could make. Ideally, a gunman who needs well-placed shots shouldn't rely on this setup at any distance greater than, say, maximum pistol gunfighting range; (15 to 20 yards) and, especially, not when a target is moving."

The combo out of a Mossberg 590 seemed rather effective on "White Bear" but I don't believe that I was the "Hunter" during that incident. JMHO.

· Draw, Varmint!
799 Posts
The combo out of a Mossberg 590 seemed rather effective on "White Bear" but I don't believe that I was the "Hunter" during that incident. JMHO.
:eek: What? All right, I give up! What's a, 'White Bear'?

· Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's what I think !

I'd move to a state where rifles are legal.
I can't argue with you , but Iowa has some of the best deer hunting in the United States as many does weigh 150-200lbs and I've seen a buck at 250 lbs. , plus they are corn fed !

Folks from all over (non-residents ) wait for a chance to shoot a fat Iowa corn fed critter , don't you watch any hunting shows ?

We haven't got a deer behind every tree , but every other according to them hunting shows ! :rolleyes:

I own a home , most of my family is here and I got a part-time job to spent on hunting stuff , except most of it goes for chasing wild women as I seem to be stuck in permanent rut season all year long ! ;)

I've shotgun hunted for over 40 years , mostly with the Mossberg 500 with 18 inch smooth bore barrel and that Weaver K1.5 scope . It works fine but does have draw backs such as kick because it's light weight , plus it has limited range and I want to reach out !

I plan to spend some money on seeing what works , by suggestions here .

I might even pin a rifle barrel on one of my 870s , if I don't borrow one of those already factory pin 870s that a hunting buddy has !

I do have both a rifle barrel and choke barrel for the 1100s 0r 870s and will add a comb to the stock or buy one for proper sight . :unsure:

Seriously I'm open to any suggestion here ! :unsure:

· Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's a few facts

First off a Mossberg 535 is just a Mossberg 500 with a 3 1/5 chamber , they don't make 3 1/5 length slugs ! :rolleyes:

The Mossberg is not a very solid pump , as no clay bird shooter is going to shoot one ! :lol:

I like my Mossberg 500 as it's my go to bad weather gun , but I want to reach out this year .;)

I like Remington 870s , they seem far more solid than a Mossberg and I own both short barrel rifle barrel and a Rem Choke barrel for , as I do for my 1100s .

The bolt action Mossberg 675 was just recently purchase and looks brand new and is very solid .

I may buy different stocks for the Remington shotguns and add a higher comb piece on the 675 for proper sight when using a scope , as these guns will be scoped !

I may do five different tests using the rifle barrels ( 3 ) 0r the two rem choke slug barrels ! :)

· Registered
1,250 Posts
Carpshooter: If you are really serious about this "reach out" thing, I would go buy a Thompson Center Encore Muzzle Loader, and then get a Rifled Shotgun barrel to go with it. All the big guys on TV use this gun as a ML. I have handled them and they are NICE!

The way Lee and Tiffany get around the shotgun rule in Iowa is to use Muzzle Loaders. (TC) These are honest 250 yard guns now with the newer sabots and powders available.

If you must use a smoothbore shotgun then you will have to resign yourself to bow hunting distances.

My goto slug load is my Standard Trap Load of a Win AA hull with 20 gr of Green Dot a WAA12 Wad and a .662 dia round ball (422gr) with a 1/4 felt cushion wad under it instead of #8 shot. The crimp closes exactly like it does with shot in it.

My main usage for this load is for my 3 gun shoots where there are slug targets. Out of my Mossberg 500 with a 20" barrel with rifle sights this load shoots dead on at 50 yards.

I would not hesitate to take it hunting in Iowa except people would laugh at a Tactical Gun in the field. If I ever got invited to hunt in Iowa I would go buy a TC Encore with a .50 cal ML barrel.

If you go to Ballistic Products Inc Website you can find everything known to man as far
as loading shotshells is concerned. Shotshell reloading supplies, components, & accessories: Ballistic Products

I can tell you without any reservation that you are never going to get any smoothbore shotgun to shoot like a rifle at 150 yards.

If this was true then they would have never invented Rifling and Conical projectiles, and we'd still be shooting muskets with round balls.

Getting hit by one of those round balls would definitely ruin your day, but getting hit by a .30-06 would ruin it more!.

Randy

· Registered
120 Posts
One shotgun that does shoot very close to rifle expectations is the Browning A-Bolt 12 gauge rifled barrel. Mine is a tack driver out to just over 150 meters using the Core-Loct sabot load. It carries a Weaver 4X that is almost as old as I am.

Of course it is more rifle than shotgun in the first place. Other of my liked rifled barrel SGs are an 1100 with the barrel extension for the optic, an 870 with a 21" rifled barrel by Remington. I would say they are listed in descending order of accuracy. Strangely enough my best smoothbore is an Ithaca VN era 20" full choke, not cylinder as one would expect, it is nowhere near the rifled barrel guns, but is the best smoothbore with "regular" slugs I have ever used. It was military issue with rifle sights, blued engraved receiver "Deerslayer" along with the intended victim portrayed. I later learned that the Army just bought off the line shotguns and issued them. The actual VN used Ithacas were all blued, the later "parked" models were built for LE/military use, but never made it to VN (war was over by then).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.