Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered and received the Uncle Mike's Leather Military Sling for my ranch mini today but the leather is very new and therefore firmer than I would like it, also it is a tan color that I would like to stain to look more like the wood grain color of the stock. Do any of you have any suggestions as to how I can treat/break in/color the leather so it is more flexible? Thanks. Rich

·
Registered
9 Posts
Rich
I've always found Mink oil to be effective for softening leather. However, it does smell peculiar for awhile. This product alone may affect the color of the leather. You can purchase leather dyes at shoe repair shops. They offer a small variety of colors. I 'm looking for a sling for my mini 14. If you are satisfied w/yours, after the treatment let me know.
Regards, Grotz

·
No Longer Involved
2,492 Posts
If you want a sling to work as a firing sling (slinging up with tension to assist in aim), you want a stiff sling. Oils will mostly SOFTEN the leather, making it stretch and less effective for accuracy.

If what you want is a comfortable carry strap, that's something else, and the aformentioned solution will work fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If the sling is very pale, try simply moistening the smooth surface of the leather with plain water. Put it in the sun -- inside a window is fine -- for a full day. When you've done this three or four times, plain, light leather takes on a very pleasant hue, like a lightly used saddle. Caution: Don't forget it and leave it in the sun for an extended period. It will dry out and become stiffer still. A light application of neatsfoot oil will help, too.

If you want somewhat swifter results, buy a jar of leather cream in the desired shade at the shoe shop and try that. Don't over use this, or you'll make the leather TOO soft. A product called Lexol, from any tack shop is good, but, again, it will soften the leather with repeated applications.

I suggest you do NOT use shoe or boot dye, unless you're willing to put up with repeated buffing and clear-coating. It will smudge off on light colored fabrics for months!

Best regards,
Johnny

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
When I bought some new boots I was having problems with them being too stiff. I bought a product called saddle soap and it worked very well. My boots are softer but I'm not sure how much it will help on your color issue though.

Brian

·
hostilenativelibertarian.
7,825 Posts
;) I learned by a premier world saddle maker-rest his soul,but he taught that leather loves olive oil,pure virgin olive oil...It does not rot it,it softens,and keeps the fibers alive,and darkens the leather.I use it on my horse tack all the time when the leather becomes dry and have not had to replace anything in ten years of Oregon weather!!! B) :sniper:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts