Perfect Union banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at the Turner Saddlery National Match Sling (M1907), and I'm wondering which length works best on the Mini. They're available in 52/54" or 54/56". I know it's not much difference, really, but for those who have a Turner sling on their Mini, which length would you choose and why?

·
Registered
166 Posts
You picked a good sling, you wont find better.

Accually the difference between the two is more for the shooter than the rifle.

How tall are you? What's your shirt sleeve length?

Are you familiar with the proper use of the 1907 military sling?

I'm 5' 10" with a 33" sleeve length, and use the shorter one on several rifles, M1A, Rem 700P, AR-15, and my Mini. However, most the time my Mini just has a 1 1/4" adjustable quick sling.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I'm 5'7", can't remember my sleeve length off the top of my head. I'm thinking the shorter length would probably be plenty. Thinking about it now, it does make sense that the length difference would depend more on the shooter, like you say.

I've reviewed the instructions over at Turner's website (and others), it seems like one of those things that's much more complicated to describe than it is to actually do when you have the sling installed.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I'm 5'7", can't remember my sleeve length off the top of my head. I'm thinking the shorter length would probably be plenty. Thinking about it now, it does make sense that the length difference would depend more on the shooter, like you say.

I've reviewed the instructions over at Turner's website (and others), it seems like one of those things that's much more complicated to describe than it is to actually do when you have the sling installed.
Ya, for sure, that's why they say, "a picture is worth a 1000 words."

But there are several different ways to use the 1907 and if I can find the pdf file I use to have I'll post it for you.

Take care,

Pete

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had to mount my 1907 sling backwards on the mini as the rivets for the double hook would not pass threw the front sling swivel . They were too thick. Mine is an Uncle Mikes 1907 sling in tan leather. I love the '07 slings, just wish I could put it on properly. This is on a 580 series mini by the way.:)

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've already removed the factory front sling loop, and I'm planning on installing a QD stud in the forearm of the stock. I've heard (and can see why) slinging up tight with the sling attached at the gas block changes POI and can affect accuracy -- hence the QD stud in the forearm.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Offshoot queston. There are many QD studs to choose from. Wondering which is best suited overall for the Mini? Currently using factory sling attachments and an M-1 carbine sling.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Offshoot queston. There are many QD studs to choose from. Wondering which is best suited overall for the Mini? Currently using factory sling attachments and an M-1 carbine sling.
I haven't put one on my mini but I did put one on the forearm of my M1A. I just used a threaded one and put a small steel plate on the inside.

Harris Bipods makes and adapter for the mini, might be worth looking into.

Mini Adapter

·
Registered
59 Posts
It depends on which stock you have, synthetic or wood.

John K
Current stock is wood. Interested in the difference between wood stock and all-weather stock sling attachment.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Current stock is wood. Interested in the difference between wood stock and all-weather stock sling attachment.
Really it comes down to personal preference. For the synthetic stocks, most recommend a machine screw-type stud. For wood stocks, a wood screw-type stud is what most recommend. Either stud will work with either stock, but the above is how it's generally done.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Really it comes down to personal preference. For the synthetic stocks, most recommend a machine screw-type stud. For wood stocks, a wood screw-type stud is what most recommend. Either stud will work with either stock, but the above is how it's generally done.
While I would agree with you statement under most conditions, I disagree that using a screw-type on the rather thin forend of a Mini, or an M1A, would hold up over time. (ETA) Especially it you're using a 1907 and "slinging up tight." (ETA)

But, that's just one man's opinion.

As always,

Your results may vary. :)

Be well!!

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
While I would agree with you statement under most conditions, I disagree that using a screw-type on the rather thin forend of a Mini, or an M1A, would hold up over time. (ETA) Especially it you're using a 1907 and "slinging up tight." (ETA)
True, the wood screw wouldn't have much to bite into. It's an option, but probably not the best one for a Mini forend.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts