Perfect Union banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking around here for information on slings with no luck, but I'm not very good at searching.

What do you all like for a sling on your Mini?

I have two, one SS and one blue and I have changed out the sling loops on both to handle quick detachable Uncle Mike's type swivels but I can't decide on a sling. Give me some ideas on what works for you and why.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I've actually got 2 different slings for my Mini, which I change out as the mood strikes me...

An Outdoor Connection Super Sling 2+, and an

M1 Garand Canvas Sling.

I like the M1 sling because I can actually sling up tight when I feel like it, using the sling as it's intended, rather than simply a carrying strap. The only downside is that the clip on the buttstock is a pain in the ass -- too loose on QD swivels, so it inevitably comes loose at the most inopportune moment, or makes a ton of noise.

I also like the Super Sling 2, because it can be adjusted quickly and is also sturdy, so I can "hasty sling" up for a quick offhand shot if I need to.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have Uncle Mike's on my Mini-30 and 10/22. Nothing fancy and they work, They were also inexspensive.

There are lots of option's out there though. 1 Point, 2 Point and 3 Point. Just all depends on your want's and needs.

Check out Blackhawk, Wilderness/Giles, Specter, Uncle Mike's (Michael's Of Oregon). They all make good slings.

I've just made mod's to my Choate stock, so I can setup a 3 point sling. And I think I'll be going with the Wilderness/Giles. Price and build quality is helping me with that decession. For $27 (including quick detach buckel), not too bad.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If anyone has pics of their slings, that would be cool.

I too would like to see some 1, 2, & 3 points slings on those Mini's

Also could a pic or link be posted showing the proper way to use a sling other than as a carry strap.

·
Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
I'm liking the Viking tactics two point sling. you can use it for a hasty sling, or carry the rifle several different ways

I have two.

I put Magpul MSAs on the left side of my synthetic stock on my mini 30 so i could carry the rifle snug across the front of my body muzzle down.

I use the Viking tactics on my TROY mcs mini also - that has a magpul RSA up front and a Carbine end plate with a sling loop in back

I adapted both my Viking tactics slings with clips.

I discovered I like having my rifle slung muzzle down across the front of my body, "tactical style" rather than on the shoulder "sportsman style." that way I can retain the rifle hands free while walking on the trail. I find this useful when traversing rough terrain where my "smart hand" (my right) may need to grab a tree limb or rock to stay on my feet. It's also is great for using binoculars and such cause the gun can't slip off my shoulder. with the VTAC, I wear it snug and when I need the gun, can pull the release line to lengthen the sling and wrap up tight for a hasty sling faster than pulling the rifle of my left shoulder, slinging up and taking aim.

If I leave it at the "working length" it's already in a suitable length to take a wrap and sling up, but still short enough to keep the rifle mostly out of the way (if one were to need to go for a pistol, say)

I'm thinking of adapting this system to my savage bolt gun - it currently has a outdoor products super sling on it.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I will probably get a VTAC for my ATI stock when i get it. I like a two point sling. USGI slings are tough to beat too, really. I just want the quick slide adjustment, since I climb into a box blind sometimes.

God Bless!

Ron

·
Registered
41 Posts
I use the Specter Gear 2-point tactical sling on my Mini-14 and like it a lot. Works similar to a VTAC/VCAS using the existing sling loops on the Mini synthetic stock I run. I've used it in two carbine classes with no problems.

Mini-14 2 Point Tactical Sling

You can also add a buttstock mag pouch to the above if that is to your liking.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Blue Point Tactical 2-point, with uncle mike's 1-1/4" swivels. Had to drill out the swivel stud holes, took about 60 secs.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have the same Specter sling as CWO USCG - works great on my Tactical. They also make a 2-point sling that may work just as well or better for your setup.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Blue Point Tactical 2-point, with uncle mike's 1-1/4" swivels. Had to drill out the swivel stud holes, took about 60 secs.
My Mini 14 Tactical has two factory sling loops.
The rear looks like a Std. diameter post so of I like to I could remove the factory loop & install my Tallon loop.
However, the front post on the gas block seems to have wider diameter as not allow my Tallon loop to be installed.
What are you all using as a replacement on the gas block to thread your slings through?

·
Registered
156 Posts
On the gas block, you remove the existing 1" ring with 2 pairs of pliers. Then, using a drill bit, drill out the hole... the hole goes all the way thru, but there is a "ridge" in there for some reason... drill it out. takes literally 1 second with a drill.

The rear stud, the hole does NOT go all the way thru, and you have to drill that thru. Doesn't take long.

One drilled, my uncle mike's QR swivels fit fine. There's a tutorial here somewhere with pictures. I did not have to sand my block down at all... the swivel clears it.

·
American realist
316 Posts
i'm running a magpul ms2 2 pt sling on my tactical mini. i installed grovetech pushbutton QD swivels in the stock so if i decide to go to a traditional sling in the original swivels, its as simple as pushing a couple buttons & the magpul setup is off.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I too run the Spectre 2 point sling. Worked great in carbine/pistol class, for carrying, off hand,kneeling and prone shots, as well as transitions to and from my pistol. I also use it hog hunting, for all the same reasons. I also run aVortex Strikfire red/green dot, which for $179 was a good deal IMHO. I keep it in its factory wood and consider dings and scratches as added character.

Eric

1 - 18 of 18 Posts