Perfect Union banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey dudes,

New to the forum, and pretty new to my Mini 14. Its a 580 series, bought right before the panic buying :D

I just bought a "slide to fit" flash suppressor, and tried installing it today. Took a few good hammer hits to get it on, however, I did not line it up exactly right (see pics).There is some room between the roll pin and notch of the flash suppressor, mostly on the right side notch.

1. Will this cause it to become loose and possibly shoot off?
2. Whats the best way to adjust it (or should I even mess with it? It wont budge when I try to turn it)

Also, the roll pin that came with the FS doesnt fit tight, but rather slides right through the hole. As it sits now, i have the FS pressing against it that it is somewhat snug.

3. Can/should I got to a home depot and try and find one that is a little thicker that will fit more snug in the hole?

Appreciate it!

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
Do you have the tapered 580 series barrel? If so I do not think that unit you bought is supposed to fit on there as it was designed for the older pencil barrel models. Other then that I have no idea, I just had my own adventure with the wrong Choate flash hider and decided to not chance it and bought the correct one.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I put a slip on brake on my SKS and the pin nothces in the brake were larger than the roll pin in the gun. It was so loose i had to re-drill the roll pin hole for the next larger pin size. It is tight now. I also put loctite red in around the seams and let it run down in there so it has virtually no chance of ever coming loose unless I want to take it off.

In your case I would first try to get lt lined up by running a steel rod through the pin hole. Something like a Philips screw driver shaft of the proper width or a punch shaft will work. Apply heat from a portable propane torch to the brake all around where the pin hole is. Keep the flame at a bit of a distance so you don't burn the finish. Get the brake to expand some. Be careful that you don't break your tool. You should be able to get the brake to turn enough to align the pin hole. Mic your roll pin and look for one that is just slightly larger than what you have. Once you have it tapped in you will likely have to cut off one end with a Dremel or cut off wheel.

Good luck with it and go slow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate the advice...as it sits now, do you think it will shoot loose? I assume the pressure from each shot will be pushing outward aka pushing the brake off the barrel...

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I would guess that it will come loose at some point. Pressure, barrel heat, shock from firing rounds, something will do it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts