Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I alone in noticing a trend in the price of these rifles?SKS's are going up,Ak's,Mini 14/30 are all about the same.AR's and clones are a comin down.Ammo the same,7.62x39 up to 5.00 a box,223 down to 4.00 a box?Whats going on?Political,customer,collector,availablity??One or all these pressures?Please help me make sense of it in my mind.Thanx,Aldo

· Registered
2,052 Posts
The pricing of the SKS has been on the rise since I bought my first in 1992.
Picked up a unfired Norinco /26\ for $89.95 & a '54 Tula rebuild for $63.50
Both were gun show buys, seller had crates of each.

AR15 prices seem to be back to "before election hype" prices

· Registered
1,656 Posts
Picked up a unfired Norinco /26\ for $89.95 & a '54 Tula rebuild for $63.50...
Man, I wish I had the SKS "bug" back then. :p

Anyway, over the past year or so, I've started gain a true appreciation for mil-surplus rifles...the M1 Garand, Springfield 1903, and now the SKS.

From my own research, in the current market, you're going to pay between $300 and $500 for a decent-to-very-good SKS. Of course, this depends on the country of origin, the year, and its condition. Now, you can also find some very nice unfired, still-in-the-box "safe queens", but they're gonna cost ya. And, to me, the hefty price tag is not worth it, especially since I want to use the rifle from time to time, and I don't want to worry about getting a nick on it.

Regardless, compared to any AR-15 I could build, or Mini-14/30 I could buy, relatively speaking with regards to price, $300-$500 is a good deal. Yes, I know...I'm comparing apples to oranges. But, I'm just talking generally about the category of a semi-automatic carbine.

That being said, I still cringe when I hear that you could have bought a re-arsenaled or unfired SKS for under $100 back in the day (actually, not that long ago). :wacko:

About as close as I can come for a comparable (and very capable) rifle is a Saiga. In fact, I've become a big fan of the Saiga line of rifle and shotguns.

Anyway, I've really come to admire the SKS rifles over the past year. I like their lines, their shared characteristics and function to an AK-47, the round that they shoot, and their overall collect-ability.

In short, they're just really cool rifles! :cool:

· Registered
652 Posts
I think the post B.O. day AR price boom was partly due to panic and peoples' impression that the AR is THE go-to weapon for people who need a rifle. Since they make AR's and components without ceasing, you can get one fairly easily, but there's a finite supply of SKS's and as they become more scarce on the market they're bound to go up.

· Registered
345 Posts
the other day at the range someone offered me 400 for my yugo sks. paid 200 for it 6 months ago. with the tapco stock i only have 300 in it. not going to sell unless prices go way way up.and i see something else i have to have instead. i really like the reliabilty and it is fun to shoot

· Registered
338 Posts
I think it's classic supply and demand at work.
In the case of the AR, it's oversupply...

There was, and still is, large demand for the AR platform. Everyone and their brother (and sister) is trying to cash in on it, making uppers, lowers, and miscellaneous parts. The market has been flooded... and they've kept the manufacturing pace up until recently when it seems it finally hit home that the demand is not what it was three years ago.

You know, the economy "thing"...

Personally, I don't think AR prices have hit bottom yet.

· Registered
406 Posts
In NY, I've been looking for an SKS, cant find one used for under $350... I'm holding out for a cheaper one, but I'm no longer too hopeful.

I'll stick to my lever actions and mini-14 for my go to guns in the meantime.

My one fear with with SKS's and AK's is just that if ever there is an importation distruption, 7.62x39 ammo prices are going to skyrocket.

· Registered
78 Posts
the new cabelas flyer is out and they have sks's for the unbelievable price of 349, unbelievable because they arent worth it, but they will sell.

· Registered
1,656 Posts
In NY, I've been looking for an SKS, cant find one used for under $350... I'm holding out for a cheaper one, but I'm no longer too hopeful.

I'll stick to my lever actions and mini-14 for my go to guns in the meantime.

My one fear with with SKS's and AK's is just that if ever there is an importation disruption, 7.62x39 ammo prices are going to skyrocket.
Definitely a valid concern. I share it too.

However, let me pose this thought...

There are quite a bit of people in the U.S. who own rifles chambered for the 7.62x39 cartridge. As such, if the price of imported 7.62x39 ammo goes up, I'm betting someone will start making 7.62x39 here in the U.S.

In fact, all they would have to do is make 7.62x39 ammo that is marginally better, and marginally cheaper than the foreign ammo, and they'd mop-up a ton of cash.

In short, people won't want to get rid of their AK-47 or SKS rifles. So, I'm guessing if this does happen, an American manufacturer will start to make or step-up their production of a 7.62x39 cartridge, assuming that there aren't some crazy-a$$ restrictions placed on such ammo.

Anyway, just pondering...

With regards to finding an SKS for less than $350, I've looked recently too. And, provided you're looking for one that's in "good" condition, they're just not around much at that price point.

You could try gbroker.com; I have seen some on there for less than $350, but they're hit or miss...mostly miss. That said, I have seen some go for around $350 that looked nice.

If you're really looking for an SKS with matching numbers, I'd expect to pay $350 and up. There might be some exceptions. But, you're going to have to really look, or get lucky. :cool:

Unfortunately, I wasn't into this hobby as much as I am now when you could buy SKS rifles for under $100. Man, I would have snatched-up a crate of them. ;)

· Registered
537 Posts
alaj70:
You probably just forgot that Remington produces 7.62x39.

Are you also hoping (in addition to many people) that another US company might find a profitable way to produce the ammo and sell at much lower retail prices than Remington?

At least we are not nearly as vulnerable as owners of AK-74 rifles, whose ammo is manufactured only in Russia.
Maybe a lot of it is shipped via the Black Sea (Ukraine) through the narrow Bosporus, by Istanbul, Turkey.
In the days of the Soviet Union, the Black Sea was their only warm water (year-round) port in the west.

· Registered
1,656 Posts
Hi gang,

Thanks for pointing out the various U.S. manufactures of 7.62x39 ammo. Frankly, I was unclear on how many companies made it, or who they were. ;)

In response to IO's question, yes, if there is a "ban" on imported 7.62x39 ammo, I am definitely hoping that some U.S. companies will ramp-up their production and/or find a more profitable way to produce the ammo in order to sell at a lower price. In fact, I think the market demand would be ripe for such a thing to occur.

Regardless, it sure would be a shame to see the price of 7.62x39 ammo skyrocket because of some arbitrary, ill-conceived "ban" on foreign ammo occur. :eek:

· Registered
832 Posts
My advice, Alaj70, is to reload... ( Yes, we have hit this bump before. LOL )

You can get brass and components almost anywhere... ( midway, graf and sons, Natchez, etc..etc... ) and you can make some pretty nice rounds for the SKS, ( and any other X39 rifle out there )

Especially with the availability of interesting components for sale at places like gunbroker... I recall buying a large number of steel core bullets of the .311 flavor... there are MANY styles of plinking, target and hunting bullets available.

You can load to your hearts content... or the depths of your wallet... whichever comes or empties first... LOL!!! :lol:

:lol:

· Registered
1,656 Posts
My advice, Alaj70, is to reload... ( Yes, we have hit this bump before. LOL )
Yep, I hear ya, my friend.

I'm working on the new reloading / armorer's / gun cleaning / knife sharpening / "Man Cave" room over the winter. The plan is to have it done by spring. :cool:

I'm real excited about reloading, as it will allow me to come up with various loads to maximize the capabilities of my rifles.

Trust me; I will definitely reach out to other PU members when I start reloading for advice, tips and recipes.

Cheers! ;)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.