Perfect Union banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Now let's just say for a second, one might have a Yugo with compliant parts in Michigan, where it is legal to do such a thing, has this guide, and there is a local gun/lock machinist shop that is quite competent.

Would it be worth looking into?

I mean, come on, the SKS is way more accurate than the AK, and imagine if it could take AK mags.

It's the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Now let's just say for a second, one might have a Yugo with compliant parts in Michigan, where it is legal to do such a thing, has this guide, and there is a local gun/lock machinist shop that is quite competent.

Would it be worth looking into?

I mean, come on, the SKS is way more accurate than the AK, and imagine if it could take AK mags.

It's the best of both worlds.
If you are paying to have this done then it might be cost effective to get a Mini 30 or AK instead if yo can get one in your state. If not can you get a preban AK like a Norinco.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Still, a good milled AK costs at the very least $600. I'd rather have an SKS that can take AK mags and feed reliably. Not counting in the cost of the SKS already, you think this is feasible for less than that?

Also, Mini 30s have an incredibly poor reputation for accuracy.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Still, a good milled AK costs at the very least $600. I'd rather have an SKS that can take AK mags and feed reliably. Not counting in the cost of the SKS already, you think this is feasible for less than that?

Also, Mini 30s have an incredibly poor reputation for accuracy.
I'm not sure you would have to get a estimate from your gunsmith. You would also need to check to see if you need US made compliance parts or not. I think an AK needs 7 US made parts to be legal.

Post pictures if you do it. I might look at it but my SKS is a pre 89 Norinco That cost me $50, so I kinda like it as is.

·
Premium Member
2,153 Posts
Pictures of your fine rifles go in the GALLERY, please.

·
Premium Member
2,153 Posts
Absolutely no problem! Just a reminder. ;) :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
But did anybody make a kit to do it?
Thanks for everybody's posts so far...
there was a company called cobray ( not the cobray most think of) . these guys were in georgia . they were using the cobray name illegally. they made the kit you are woundering about. but they only come out of the wood works once in a blue moon and they are never complete kits. the people that made them are out of buisness. I talked to the cobray sales rep and this is what he told me.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Wow!!!
Never thought this thread woudl be dragged back to life after more than 2 years!
nteresting to know that the interest is still there though...

·
Erin go Braugh
157 Posts
So who has pics that has actually done this!!! Lets see them pm me or send me a link to your gallery photo or what ever the correct protocol is. Thanks BDS

·
Registered
30 Posts
The guy that does builds in the Shotgun news did this recently. Went into detail how he did it in the articles. He also played the 922r game, and tells you how to get the parts count right.
When we bought our Model M it was about $20 cheaper than a brand new Mak-90. Bought it as more of a curiosity at the time. I think it was $139 new.
With the cost of the SKS these days it is smarter just to buy a Model M or D. If I had the time and a mill, I'd make a Russian one. :)

21 - 40 of 47 Posts