Perfect Union banner

SKS accuracy

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  assaultu2 
#1 ·
Hi
i'm new top the forum. You guys seem to know what you talking about so here the ques.
I just bought a yugo sks on Gunbroker.com.
I've heard from some people that you cant shoot a group with them (kind of like the AK) but others say that they are pretty accurate.
I was just wondering what to expect.
Thanks

#2 ·
Everybody and their mother will have an opinion on this, so heres my .02
I have owned several SKS's I like them better than AK's. Neither are "accurate" however my sons' Chineese will easily break clays @ 100 meters fairly quickly. So, if you are looking for HBAR accuracy, forget it!!! But these are great rifles and fun too shoot and accurate enough to get the job done.
Cheers, AU2

#3 ·
Thanks, I was just wondering what to expect.
I wasn't expecting it to be super accurate, I have a .270wtby mag for that. Just a fun rifle to shoot for cheap. And to keep the .270mag, H&K 91 and mini-14 company in the safe
I guess it also has to do with shape of the bore as well. This one is supposed to have a sharp and shiny bore so I guess it should shoot just fine.
Thanks

#4 ·
Good ammo is the key to SKS accuracy. My Yugo will only shoot a 6" group@100yards with WOLF ammo. With the Russian HP in the white box, it'll shoot 3". With UMC and Winchester FMJ commercial ammo, I have shot consistent 1.5" groups at 100yards, using a 6X full-length scope, metal bipod and shooting with the gas valve shut-off ("straight-pull bolt-action"). The SKS can be surprising, if you set it up right.

#5 ·
Hey, BigDog;
Sounds good. How do you shut off the gas valve?
Do you simply remove the piston?
My Russians dont seem to have an actual valve.
AU2

#6 ·
assaultu2, sorry, the gas valve is adjustable only on the Yugo M59/66. It's used to fire grenades using the built-in grenade launcher. Useless for us but it looks neat. All that extra mass up front helps, too. It tames the little bit of muzzle jump that SKS's have. The grenade launcher has no compensating effect that I know of, but could be drilled to be a comp. I like the Yugo stock, too. It's denser and heavier than the Chinese stock, and has a rubber buttpad. The Yugos are good rifles.
I've heard of people removing the gas piston, but I wouldn't recommend this. All that gas has to go somewhere, and it ain't going down the barrel. A removable solid plug would work, but that's a lot of work to go through for the liitle gain it would give. Good ammo is the best way to improve the SKS. Try different brands, and find out what your rifle likes best.

:sniper:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.