Perfect Union banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of questions. I'm getting a Bell & Carlson #2956 Tactical stock for my Remington 700 308 Tactical with a 20" bull barrel. I was wondering if there would be any advantage (improved accuracy) to "SKIM BED" this stock? If there is how hard is this to do or would it better to have a professional do it for me? I'm limited because I really don't have any tools or work area to do something like this.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Not really sure what you mean by skim bedding. Personally I would do a full bedding of the action to just past the recoil lug and free float the barrel. If you want to bed the barrel channel for any added strength and rigidity, place a layer or two of electrical tape lengthwise down the barrel before bedding and this will keep the barrel from contacting the stock. Just my two cents worth. Also if the stock does not have pillars at the action screws, I would buy a pillar bedding kit and install them myself. The B&C may already have them. Score High gunsmithing out of Albuquerque makes a nice pillar bedding kit that comes with adjustabel pillars, enough bedding material to do the entire job for about $55 and a cd with complete instructions.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Not really sure what you mean by skim bedding. Personally I would do a full bedding of the action to just past the recoil lug and free float the barrel. If you want to bed the barrel channel for any added strength and rigidity, place a layer or two of electrical tape lengthwise down the barrel before bedding and this will keep the barrel from contacting the stock. Just my two cents worth. Also if the stock does not have pillars at the action screws, I would buy a pillar bedding kit and install them myself. The B&C may already have them. Score High gunsmithing out of Albuquerque makes a nice pillar bedding kit that comes with adjustabel pillars, enough bedding material to do the entire job for about $55 and a cd with complete instructions.
THe B&C stock does not need pillars, it is an aluminum mono bloc. It can be skim bedded:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts