Perfect Union banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using factory ammunition from Silver State Armory (about 90 rounds so far) in my 6.8 SPC Mini-14 and note that SSA uses US Mil Spec primers in all their ammunition - which includes 5.56 NATO and 6.8 SPC. SSA indicates that rifles firing their ammo should have a 4.5 Lb hammer spring minimum.

Have any Mini owners here have had problems with the Mil Spec primers in SSA ammo - that might include FTF or broken firing pin? I haven't heard of any problems, but thought it would be a good idea to ask since some Mini owners have reported problems seemingly due to harder European and Russian primers.

Thanks.

:)

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I am using factory ammunition from Silver State Armory (about 90 rounds so far) in my 6.8 SPC Mini-14 and note that SSA uses US Mil Spec primers in all their ammunition - which includes 5.56 NATO and 6.8 SPC. SSA indicates that rifles firing their ammo should have a 4.5 Lb hammer spring minimum.

Have any Mini owners here have had problems with the Mil Spec primers in SSA ammo - that might include FTF or broken firing pin? I haven't heard of any problems, but thought it would be a good idea to ask since some Mini owners have reported problems seemingly due to harder European and Russian primers.

Thanks.

No. No problems with Mil spec primers at all. When I load .223 or 5.56 all I use are CCI No 34 Military primers and they work 100% in my AR's my Mini 14 and my bolt action .223's. I use their No 41 Military primers in my .308 and .303 loads and they have also been 100% reliable.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
I have a 6. 8 mini but I only shoot handloads. I have not heard of anyone breaking a firing pin with any ammo.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
You won't break a firing pin with military primers. They are not that hard. Their boxer primers that have a bit thicker cup to prevent automatics with floating firing pins from slam firing. There have been a few AR's that fired up releasing the bolt home with ammo that was loaded with soft primers, might of been Federal or Winchester I don't remember.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much to all of you. This is a great forum and I was gaining information long before I joined. It is apparent that there are a lot of knowledgable and nice people here!

:):):):)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I mostly shoot SSA in my Mini 6.8. Love them 110 accubonds!
Thanks much. IIRC you were one of the folks who reamed their chamber to SPC II. I read that thread more than once last year before I decided to have mine reamed, so you and the other guys in that thread were helping me a lot. Medical issues for my wife and then me held everything up until last month.

My Mini-14 may be mostly a range queen but using SSA tactical and getting more velocity and energy sounds like a good idea even for the little hunting I expect to do.

The tactical Accubonds and TSX would be the rounds I would try first for hunting deer or pigs, but the pigs will have to be out of state.

Nearly all the rifle shooting at my club is rimfire or 5.56, so it is amusing to see other shooters without much rifle experience or military training turn their heads when they hear a 6.8 bark. One nice young guy with a couple of 5.56 ARs came over and asked what I was shooting. After we talked for a minute, he decided to look for a good 6.8 SPC II upper.

It's all shotgun hunting in this area and they ain't used to hearing much centerfire rifle. Me and my son were laughing about how they will react when he shoots the .270 I gave him or someone shows up with a big bore magnum.

Best regards.

:lol:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wish I could afford to shoot all day at $1.00 or more per bang!
:D
I wish I could afford it too! My plinking will be mostly .22 LR and the Mini will be exercised just enough to feel like I'm as good as an old man with not so good eyes can be!

Actually, I compared the cost of factory loads by caliber recently. Naturally, the 5.56 and imported 7.62 X 39 were lower cost than the 6.8, but the 6.8 from SSA, and online sources such as Cheaper Than Dirt and MidwayUSA was less than almost anything else. Buying in bulk on sale by SSA, 115 Gr HPBT can cost about $.79 per round but that is still a lot cheaper than buying Remington or Hornady in local stores.

But you are right, the 6.8 and most other centerfire rounds don't fit in the 'shoot all day' category for most folks - me included.
:D

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yeah the ammo is high, I don't use my Mini 6.8 for blasting. Its a hunting and larger varmint remover rifle, but I "Check" the zero occasionally. Two standard factory SAAMI factory loads from SSA can get you 300 yards of ethical deer killing range. The SSA 110 SPH and the SSA 110 Accubond. But now you can add the Hornady 120 SST to that list, an affordable hunting round.

If you ream to spec II then the SSA Tac 110 Barnes TSX can get to the 300 yard mark for deer, other wise its around 260 in a standard Factory load in a SAAMI Chamber.

NEVER SHOOT TACTICAL, SPEC II ONLY LOADS OUT OF A SAAMI CHAMBER!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah the ammo is high, I don't use my Mini 6.8 for blasting. Its a hunting and larger varmint remover rifle, but I "Check" the zero occasionally. Two standard factory SAAMI factory loads from SSA can get you 300 yards of ethical deer killing range. The SSA 110 SPH and the SSA 110 Accubond. But now you can add the Hornady 120 SST to that list, an affordable hunting round.

If you ream to spec II then the SSA Tac 110 Barnes TSX can get to the 300 yard mark for deer, other wise its around 260 in a standard Factory load in a SAAMI Chamber.

NEVER SHOOT TACTICAL, SPEC II ONLY LOADS OUT OF A SAAMI CHAMBER!
Thanks for the info on the SSA rounds. I have been shooting the 110 SPH already - seems accurate. The Tac TSX (both 85 and 110) are rounds I have been thinking best for hogs and deer - on those few occasions I will get to hunt! There is one area I might be able to hunt ground hogs & I might try the 85 RRLP for that. Vegetable farmers used to love folks who could take out a some 'whistle pigs'.

The rifle is with the gunsmith now - and it should be reamed to SPC II as soon as PT&G sends him the reamer (was out of stock & had to be put in their production schedule).

My rifle has functioned flawlessly, so if I got a good barrel, and with the trigger job and bedding, it should shoot a lot better than the owner!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts