Perfect Union banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if anybody out there has shot Silver Bear Russian ammo?It has plated steel cases,I am thinking of getting a 500 round box of it in the 62 gr.HP.Thanx Aldo

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I bought 500 rounds from AIM,of Silver Bear.I liked the idea of using a plated steel case instead of a regular stell cased round.The stuff is a little dirty compared to US made ammo.Its fairly accurate "this is the 62 grain HP copper coated bullet".I shot over 250 rounds fairly fast,no miss or hang fires.No gumming chamber up like Wolf ammo_Overall fairly pleased and would recommend it for use in the mini.Aldo

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Thanks for the product report Aldo. Sounds like your biggest problem is keeping a supply on hand. ;)

·
Registered
216 Posts
mikr: Seriously, if you plan on keeping your rifle a while, I would stay away from steel cased and copper-washed bullets for longevity reasons..but that is my personal opinion.....

I would be hesitant to use steel-jacketed copper-washed bullets - despite their wide use in eastern-block militaries but I am not sure that steel cases are that bad compared to brass ones.

The only thing I could think of is in case of jam the stronger steel case could damage the extractor rather than be torn off like the brass one.
Since extractor is a cheap easy-to replace part, it would probably make sense to keep a spare and save money on practice ammo.

I can't see how it could damage the chamber, etc. - there are legends of laquer on russian cases getting stuck to hot chambers and so on, but in the Soviet military where we used AK with 30-rd mags on full auto and RPMs with larger mags I did not hear about cases stuck. At the same time I occasionally had brass 7.62x54R cases neatly torn in two instead of extracted in my tank machine gun.

I currently use Wolf 55gr HP copper jacket steel-cased boxer primed ammo.

BTW - there is a good reason to use HP ammo for practive instead of FMJ one - besides some ranges banning FMJ and especially stell-jacketed ammo.
HP of SP ammo usually has bottom of the bullet covered in copper unlike FMJ where jacket is not really full but exposes the led on the bottom.

That led evaporates upon firing and settles in the bore, parts of the rifle you touch and in your lungs, etc.
Led is bad. Causes terrible things - especially to young children and fetuses but does not do any good to adults either.
So it's a consideration. Use copper-washed bullets in 22lr with rubber gloves and HP/SP for practice with others and you'll be safer. There is enough crap in the environment as it is...

V.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I feel that the copper washed bullets,and steel cases.Will be like the same old debate 45 ACP ver. 9 MM.Its old and has been around for a long time.I bought the Ruger mini,because its a Bill Ruger design,and as with 90% of his designs,a little heavy,accurate to get the job it was designed for done,and made like a brick ****house.I would like to see a AR used as a club in close combat and see if it will fire??A would bet my money on a AK or Mini.A stainless mini should be able to eat the Russian ammo all day long without to much trouble.I know the steel used in the stainless mini reciver has a rep with gunsmiths as hard as heck and a real bear to drill and tap,2 in my area will not even do it!!Well thanks for the soapbox.Aldo

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just orded a case of siliver bear . I ve shot the 7.62x39
it's fine. I don't think it will gum up the chamber and this what
seemed to be a problem with the wolf. I've been wanting to try
62gr but it's more money most of the time,122$ to the door
seems to be a good deal. Wear on the barrel is not a concern
to me if wear a barrel out I would be proud. Will post a review after I get it and shoot some.

Paul J

·
Registered
37 Posts
I pass on...
I have heard that the casing isn't really the worst thing to worry about. What seems to be the bigger issue is the variance in the caliber of the bullet. The mini-30 is supposed to be .308 while the russian ammo varies between .308-.311 which can cause excessive wear and tear on your barrel. If this is untrue someone tell me. I have for the moment gone to the South african ammo since it has a higher reliability standard a brass case and very accurate plus a little hotter to boot. I own the mini-30 in stainless and always looking for more information on this gun. Thanks a bunch what I learn here will definitely reach other forum take care.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Ogre,
You are apparently mistaken. The Mini-30 - except for the early ones - is made for the russian ammo, so it's bore is .310 caliber It should have no problem shooting .308 and .311 bullets.

V.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thank you for correcting my mistake. Again this is only what I have heard from many others. I have a newer mini-30 so theoretically there shouldn't be any problems. So what again is the big issue in using russian ammo in the Mini-30? This info is useful to me I can guarantee you that. Has anybody heard anything bad about the south african ammo? I have used a box or two and even though it is still more than the russian ammo it does have a fmj and is brass cased yet cheaper than "white box winchester". Thanks again voruzon. One last thing that I would like to bring to your attention. On the subject of the laquered cases being stuck....I have only heard that it happens in the minis since they (I do not state from personal knowledge but from what countless others have said) have a tighter less tolerant chamber. Not exactly designed for military ammo. The Ak has a slightly bigger chamber allowing higher tolerances for such things. I say again not from personal knowledge but from what has been told me by many others. Thanks again.

·
Registered
216 Posts
All kinds of legents abound about the Russian ammo. Some of them may even be true - or were at some time.

Some types of russian ammo are berdan-primed, not boxer-primed, which makes it harder on the firing pins.

Some types come with mild steel copper-washed jackets rather than copper jackets. Allegedely that may hurt the bore - or not. At least the copper jacket is the known quantity.

Some ammo comes with red sealer around the primer and bullet-case junktion. There are all kinds of horror stories about that sealer jamming the weapon, etc.

And don't forget the steel case covered with green laquer that is supposed to melt in a hot chamber and glue the case to it. That is despite millions of people - your humble servant included - emptying multiple 30-rd mags from their AK-74s without ever getting a jam. Neither have I observed the laquer melting in the fire, but you could probably test that yourself. Come to think of it, next time I'll bring a case home and try to melt it on the stove. Even if the bigger chamber of an AK is helping, how likely is a mini to fire so many rounds in so short time?

Allegedely, the steel case in case of a jam is more likely to damage the extractor than to have a lip torn by it. Though the price of a spare Mini extractor would be covered by cheap training ammo.

And of course you have famous russian quality - or the las of it. Those guys will have to try reall long and hard to dispell the well-deserved infamy...

There may be other points. You have to see what you are buying in each particular case. It works for many people and it's cheap.

Anyway, currently I am buying for practice russian-made Wolf hollow-point boxer-primed copper-jacketed steel-cased laquered ammo without the red sealer at about 16 cents/round at the store. I intend to find it even cheaper on the web. The indor range I frequent does not allow any FMJ and most ranges do not allow steel-cased or steel-cored ammo.

For SHTF day I will probably stock the Federal XM-193 or some analog.

V.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Originally posted by ogre
I pass on...
I have heard that the casing isn't really the worst thing to worry about. What seems to be the bigger issue is the variance in the caliber of the bullet. The mini-30 is supposed to be .308 while the russian ammo varies between .308-.311 which can cause excessive wear and tear on your barrel. If this is untrue someone tell me. I have for the moment gone to the South african ammo since it has a higher reliability standard a brass case and very accurate plus a little hotter to boot. I own the mini-30 in stainless and always looking for more information on this gun. Thanks a bunch what I learn here will definitely reach other forum take care.
Orge, I do not have a mini-30, but I read the posts, and my reloading manuals. The mini-30 has a .308 bore, this is from my Hornady , and Lyman reloading manuals. From page 11 in the Mini-30 manual states: "The Ruger Mini-30 Rifles, are chambered for the 7.62x39mm cartridge, and use either U.S. military, or factory loaded sporting 7.62x39mm cartridges." Ruger will never recommend imported ammo, or reloads even if it shoots very well.

If I had a mini-30 I would have ammo just like I do on my -14. A cheaper good shooting supply of factory, and my reloads. I'd shoot it, and not worry about the barrel specs as long as it shoots well. ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would have never heard of this place for starters which would mean I would be an ignoramus to the max by now. Your information is like small gold nuggets. Hard to find a few but once you do there are several others close by. Thanks a bunch. I just might have to buy me some wolf or some more of that South african then in the near future. Or perhaps some PMC where I live it is a little cheaper since this is where PMC is located. Thanks a bunch. Well just in case something does go haywire I will mention it to you guys. I will pass along some of this information to other forums that I frequent..

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I thought that you guys would be interested in this info.I can't setup links for crap,Its http://www.brownells.com look under guntech and do a Ruger search.1992-1993 ruger went to a .310-311 dia.bore on the Mini 30,before this they used a long chamber throat that squeezed the bullet down to .308.Also checkout there advice about drilling and tapping a scopemount for a stainless reciver.Aldo

·
Registered
118 Posts
to answer your original question, yes, I use silver bear, brown bear , and wolf ammo in my mini, sks , and beretta pistol. and it works fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts