Perfect Union banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here familar with or have used this Russian Silver Bear ammo? It is available at Cheaper Than Dirt for about $3.99 per box. It is 62 gr. softpoint. Lake City is getting hard to get and may no longer be available when the current supply dries up. Seems the government is stopping the supply to the general public. Anyway, most commercial .223 FMJ just doesn't have the velocity to cut it for me (3200 fps or faster with 55 gr. bullets) so I am looking for an economical load that will have good bullet performance. I figure this Russian stuff might hit 2800-3000 fps with these bullets and being they are softpoints shouldn't suffer much from this reduced velocity. Anyone have data on the velocity and performance of this ammo? It also has a nickel plated case which might make it a little more friendly to the chambers. If Lake City is no longer available, would this be a decent round for plinking, varminting and perhaps even defense if necessary? Any info on this (or other good, cheap ammo) would be appreciated. Thanks.

op-rod

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
It might be a good hunting round, and its cheap enough, If I wern't into reloading, I'd try a box or two, and see if my mini likes it. If it shot good groups, and it fed good out of the mags, then I'd order a quantity. Otherwise ya ain't lost much.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Cheaper Than Dirt wants $3.99 a box for Silver Bear? Ye gods, I only pay $3.97 for a box of UMC .223 at Wal-Mart. Plus I don't have to pay shipping charges and it's reloadable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts