Perfect Union banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 semi auto rifles in 7.62x39. An AR, AK and a mini-30.First two are great,no problems but the mini shoots 3" to the left with the rear peep all the way to the right.I'd like to keeep this 30,even had ruger fit me an extra complete bolt just in case of the reported fireing pin breaking.Any suggestions on how to correct the problem?

· Registered
73 Posts
Not the best mini expert, but are you shooting from a bench or sling. I have heard that if you have the sling mounted to the gas block and use it for support it will hamper the accuracy.

What kind of accuracy does it have. The three inch to the left is the precision, but if its shooting tight groups it could be different things. Another thing to check is if the gas block is tightened down even. I dont know if the 30 has a dovetail front sight, but you could possibly move it over towards the left some.

What rear sight are you using?

· Registered
3,861 Posts
That is a significant amount of "off" but it does not take very much sight movement to do this.

The front sight may not have been pinned on straight from the factory. Has it always shot this way or did it start at some point?

The barrel may clocked off a bit.

The barrel may be warped.

You could try and have it laser bore sighted and the sight level checked. That may find something out and it doesn't cost a lot.

A trip back to Ruger would fix whatever is wrong with it.

· Registered
1,117 Posts
All of the above are possibilities. It has happened.
I had the same problem when i first got my 531 mini 30, but I was lucky. Turned out the rear sight wasn't seated properly. I took it off, and reinstalled it. Fixed

· Registered
3,461 Posts
Another issue may be the gas block is torqued incorrectly. It could be putting the gas bushing in a bind against the barrel. The simple solution is to loosen up the 4 screws in the gas block and make sure the glock is centered on the barrel and the two halves are torqued evenly without too much side pressure on the gas bushing. It does not fix every sight issue but it seems to fix about 1/2 based on replies on this forum and others. I'd give that a try before you go to the hassles of sending it back. Just my opinion. kwg

· Registered
132 Posts
I had to adjust my stock 582 mini 30 sight far to the left to get it into center target. There was a little adjustment left but not much. I installed a sighted muzzle brake ( not necessarily to fix the sight issue ) and shot it in. The rear sight adjustment for windage is now pretty close to center. The muzzle brake helped with accuracy also which is why I purchased it.

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is weird,I had a cammo hogue on the 30.Took it off and put the original stock back on.It is now shooting 2" to the right of the red dot,this means that just changing the stock moved the point of impact at least 6" to the right.I now can move the peep to the left and have it hit where it should.Hard to believe that a stock can make such a difference.

· Registered
3,861 Posts
When you put the Hogue on there did the action of the gun go evenly onto the stock without torquing or any unusual stress points between the action and the gas block? Where the front of the stock fits into the grooves on the gas block it could have been torquing the gas block which might rotate the barrel slightly. Just guessing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.