Perfect Union banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the word on the newer Sig Mosquito.

I owned one around 2008 and I loved to shoot it, loved the feel and the control, but even with the recommended ammo it jammed and failed to eject regularly. I ran 900 rounds through her but still the same problems.

Saw one the other day and talked to the sig rep. and he said there were some design changes and they added a hole on the side of the slide to oil through.

Anybody tried one of the new Sig Mosquito? What is your opinion?

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
What is the word on the newer Sig Mosquito.

I owned one around 2008 and I loved to shoot it, loved the feel and the control, but even with the recommended ammo it jammed and failed to eject regularly. I ran 900 rounds through her but still the same problems.

Saw one the other day and talked to the sig rep. and he said there were some design changes and they added a hole on the side of the slide to oil through.

Anybody tried one of the new Sig Mosquito? What is your opinion?
Bought one 2 or 3 years ago with the hole in the side for oil. Works great with CCI Minimag and Stingers. Works lousy with anything else. Since the drought started and I have to grab whatever .22's I can find, its a paperweight. Get a lot more use out of my Ruger target pistols which eat anything.

Best,
Grumpy

·
M.I.A.
1,474 Posts
My wife chose the Bersa Thunder instead and it's been a solid pistol. We've probably put a few thousand rounds through it now.
The gal at the gun shop counter had a Sig Mosquito, and she was having problems with it. I think after about a year (1500 rounds) she said it smoothed out. She also has to be picky about ammunition.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had nothing but problems with mine - very finicky when it came to ammo. For a general plinking .22, it wasn't worth the special diet it needed to be fed. Traded it in on a Walther P22 which has run like a champ since the day I got it on my bulk ammo.

Not sure what has happened with Sig's quality control, my P226 in 9mm (1994) is an awesome gun but I got rid of my 226 in .40 (2004) after having issues with the trigger bar and firing pin block. Was in the market for a .45 and got the M&P, did not want to take another chance on Sig.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Got my Mosquito 4/13, it's a "F" series S/N,and was NIB. The mfg. date was 3/13,so
all factory up dates were included. I only shoot HV, plated bullets and have had no
problems with FTL,FTF or FTE but it dosn't like naked lead bullets.
Other than that I very happy with Sig's Mosquito and would recommend it to anyone
wanting a .22 auto.

.............................Jack

·
Draw, Varmint!
797 Posts
Pot Metal Junk - Period!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also have an "F" series. I have had the common issues with mine and it is frustrating. The problems seem to be much worse when the outside temperature is colder so I assume it is a tolerance issue somewhere.
I wish Sig would figure it out and have a recall or something. It's a shame because I otherwise love the gun. Very comfy and it makes a great training weapon.

401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had nothing but problems with mine - very finicky when it came to ammo. For a general plinking .22, it wasn't worth the special diet it needed to be fed. Traded it in on a Walther P22 which has run like a champ since the day I got it on my bulk ammo.

Not sure what has happened with Sig's quality control, my P226 in 9mm (1994) is an awesome gun but I got rid of my 226 in .40 (2004) after having issues with the trigger bar and firing pin block. Was in the market for a .45 and got the M&P, did not want to take another chance on Sig.
That is really disappointing. I was hopeful that they truly had them figured out. It is still too much of crap shoot (no pun intended) I really like the pistol, Too bad.

401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got my Mosquito 4/13, it's a "F" series S/N,and was NIB. The mfg. date was 3/13,so
all factory up dates were included. I only shoot HV, plated bullets and have had no
problems with FTL,FTF or FTE but it dosn't like naked lead bullets.
Other than that I very happy with Sig's Mosquito and would recommend it to anyone
wanting a .22 auto.

.............................Jack
I am glad you got a good one. They are very nice and certainly much easier than my Ruger 22/45 to disassemble and clean. Actually its the reassembly that is difficult for me.

Enjoy that Sig

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well here it is almost two years later, still enjoy shooting my Mosquito. I take it every time I go shooting. I have acquired a Ruger 22/45 since i last posted here, and like it a
lot ,but it sure feels heavy after running the Mosquito for a while. The little Sig is still
ammo picky, but I only feed it what works well. It's still my favorite .22 hand gun.

......................... Jack

·
Draw, Varmint!
797 Posts
Gee, Spooler, I'm happy for you! In the past two years I've repaired two SIG Mosquitos that just, 'gave up the ghost' while they were being fired right in front of me. I had to take both of them substantially apart in order to diagnose and repair the problems. This gave me a chance to get a real good look at what makes a SIG Mosquito tick.

As I said: THE SIG MOSQUITO IS POT METAL JUNK. In fact I think I'll revise my opinion: THE SIG MOSQUITO IS POT METAL AND STAMPED SHEET METAL JUNK.

I own an S&W Model 41. It's a high volume shooter! A competitive 22 LR pistol, like my Model 41, the SIG Mosquito ain't! I've worked on high volume Ruger Mark II's and III's. A competitive pistol the SIG Mosquito, once again, ain't. I've fired any number of Browning Buckmark pistols; and, yup, compared to a Buckmark the SIG Mosquito is, well ......., junk.

However, if the Mosquito works for you - Fine! I'm glad you're happy; and I hope your luck holds. I kind 'a suspect, though, that you're not a high volume 22 LR match shooter, now, are you. Please keep us informed. Who knows? I just might change my mind. ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Lone Gunman, Hope every thing is going well for you. That damn little Mosquito is still
running like a timex, round count has passed 3000, nearly 3 years of nearly trouble free
shooting. I'm still using only premium ammo, no bare lead bullets, no standard velocity
ammo, only high velocity CCI stuff. I'm still happy as a clam with my Mosquito.

..................... Jack

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.