Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 847 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine at work was talking about what kinda guns he should go out and buy. We live in SE Michingan and he might go deer hunting. I said go out and buy these in the order there listed.

Rem 870 12 gage, 24" barrel to start off with maybe a 18" later
Glock 23 40 cal
Rem 700 in 30/06, stainless, with iron sights and a good illuminated 3X9 scope
Ruger 10/22 Stainless, folding stock, dot type scope
AR in 223, 16" barrel folding stock. Maybe get a 22 adapter for it

Wadda You Guys think??

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Makes sense to me. If you had to cut it down even more, you could probably get by with just the 10/22 and either one of the rifles, or the shotgun.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Well, for SHTF guns, I think the AR should be at the top of that list. I can't fault any of your choices, however.

·
Isolationist Libertarian
1,421 Posts
How do you put a folder on an AR? Is that what the ACE folder I've never seen manages to do?

·
Registered
9 Posts
#1- Rem 870
#2- Mini 14
#3- S&W .357
#4- Ruger 10/22

These are the guns I have now, but I don't think I would grab the .22 in a SHTF situation. Mine jams way to much. But the first 3 are about as reliable as you can get.

·
Registered
192 Posts
IMO military surplus firearms are more suited for SHTF use. I keep a good Chinese SKS and Mosin Nagant, and a CZ-52 pistol. With Surplus Ammo for the CZ and Mosin common and cheap how could you go wrong? In the sealed metal containers it's perfect for long term storage.

I do have an AR-15 though, it's got the cheap adjustable aftermarket stock, I've only got two 30 round magazines and 20 rounds for it. If I had more money to put into it for ammo, extra magazines, and a new stock though it probably would be up to the challenge. I'll get around to it one of these times. It is a fine rifle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
A buddy of mine at work was talking about what kinda guns he should go out and buy. We live in SE Michingan and he might go deer hunting. I said go out and buy these in the order there listed.

Rem 870 12 gage, 24" barrel to start off with maybe a 18" later
Glock 23 40 cal
Rem 700 in 30/06, stainless, with iron sights and a good illuminated 3X9 scope
Ruger 10/22 Stainless, folding stock, dot type scope
AR in 223, 16" barrel folding stock. Maybe get a 22 adapter for it

Wadda You Guys think??
With the 870, I'd get the mag extension to put on when you add on the 18" bbl. Personally, I'd get the Rem700 in 308, a Glock 22 full size 40 for the extra rds, and a supressor for the 22.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
#1 mossberg 500 w/18" breach barrel entry gun, knoxx spec-ops stock (LOTS of 00 buck and 1oz slugs.

#2 M16 A1 carbine for rapid223fire (still in transfer :D)

#3 glock 22.

#4 10/22 w/ silencer

Then I would give each of my family my family members a .223 and ammo in clips (mini or ar)

that folding stock ar-15 is a special model gun with alternative cycling system, does not use standard parts therefore I wouldnt use it. You should be able to repair ir. The only "alternative" parts I would use is a gas piston system rather than direct gas... no daily cleaning.

·
Registered
8,131 Posts
that #4 is a good idea any group banding together should .22 lr rifle/pistol if not several for women/youths.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
folding stock

I meant tele stock.
Shotgun and 30/06 are going to put meat on the table. Heck there'll be meat on the table in 2 weeks with those guns. I'd rather be shooting at some yahoo with worst case an AK at 400 yds with a bolt action 30/06 than the same yahoo at 300 yds with an AR.

·
Isolationist Libertarian
1,421 Posts
"I'd rather be shooting at some yahoo with worst case an AK at 400 yds with a bolt action 30/06 than the same yahoo at 300 yds with an AR."

Because of the energy the 06 would have left?
At 400 the 150 gr. 06 has dropped 21 inches, at 300 the 55 gr 223 has dropped 7inches.
I can't help but think MY chances of a solid hit would be better with the 223.
Remington used to offer a rifle sighted bbl, with a slug choke years ago, if they still do a fella might be able to get away with one bbl. and a choke pouch. I have been thinking about getting my 500 riot type gun threaded for chokes if possible. Conservation hunt goose gun!!!

·
Registered
425 Posts
#1 MINI-14 with Ruger 20 rd factory mags

#2 Romanian SAR 1 AK-47 with 30 rd mags

#3 Glock 22 with 15 rd mags

#4 Thompson Center Benchrest .22lr rifle with 3x-9x scope. (tis' a tackdriver)

If could only choose two of the above, would be MINI-14 and Glock 22!

Jeff

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've killed Elk at 400 yds with a 180 grn 30/06. Dont think that'd happen with a 223. Close up I rather have a lot of rounds and be able to put them at the buy guys in a hurry. Given a choice, I rather keep the bad guys aways out

·
hostilenativelibertarian.
7,825 Posts
<_<They've killed humans with a 30-06 @1200+yds....back in the day!:eek:

·
Registered
113 Posts
I think any centerfire rifle or 12 gauge shotgun would be a good choice as long as it was reliable and you knew how to use it. But as for the pistols,I would bypass them and go right for my Uzi. I can change calibers in about a minute,and 10mm,357SIG or 45 acp out of a 16.5" barrel can deter just about anyone.

·
Registered
157 Posts
For shtf issues, we are of a group mindset, and have settled on a few weapon types as our primaries........

1. MBR = M14 type rifles. 18, and 16 inch bbls is the std for our group.
2. Handguns = Glocks19's, and 17's.
3. 22LR = Ruger 10-22's

Other types include M1Carbine, SKS, a few bolt guns, and handguns of various calibers, and a couple of shotguns in 12ga.

My personal favorites are as follows :

M14 (18.5in chrome lined bbl)
Glock-19
Ruger 10-22
M1 Carbine (IJ)
M121 Bennelli 12ga

·
Registered
7 Posts
shtf guns

my choices for shtf guns..
sar 1 ak...5-30 rounders...3000 rounds.
mini-30....7-10 rounders .....550 rounds brass cased only thru her.
S&W .45 chiefs special .....400 rounds of golden saber, hydra shok,extreme shock and silver tips.
sig .40 ....300 rounds golden saber,hydra shok,quick shok,speer gold dot
yugo sks..3-30 rounders...3000 rounds
have 3 10/22's with 17- 25 rounders .....7000 rounds.

·
Registered
746 Posts
SHTF? depends, broad spectrum there. Ill play along the lines of a zombie attack or say invasion of our soil (both highly unlikely) id run with a mil spec rifle such as my AR15 and a pistol such as my Glock 22.

The lines of a natural disaster? I don't want any unwanted attention and would probably stand guard of whatever shelter I have my family in (no mass shelters please, ie no super-killer-dome) with my trusty .30-30Marlin and my .357. Maybe the mini-14 though it does look a bit "militant", probably keep a 10rd mag for such occasion. As said, I don't want any unwanted attention, though I don't want any looters thinking they can waltz on in either....

--Chuck

·
Registered
759 Posts
I love these threads. marlin 30/30 and an 870 will get all the meat you can get. But for zombies how about a .458 socom? If the Aliens invade I want an M2.

1 - 20 of 847 Posts